Light switch w/ 2 live and 2 neutral

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mrdan, Jul 14, 2019.

1. mrdan

mrdan New Member

Hi, so I’m attempting to wire up an outdoor light, I believe I’ve managed that part okay as it’s just the usual 1 earth, 1 live and 1 neutral.

However the single light switch that powers said light has 2 lives and 2 neutrals feeding in to it and I’m not really sure how to proceed here... I’ve attached a picture as to how it is currently wired up

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

That switch had never worked how it’s currently wired.

3. mrdan

mrdan New Member

Yes that’s correct. It was put in by our house builders but because there wasn’t an actual light for it to power they wired it up like pictured for “safety”.

So now I’m trying to I guess undo what they’ve done and actually make it work.

4. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

So the brown&blue that are in the same connector block are the ones that go to the new light?

5. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

we can see cables inside of the switch box, but how many cables protrude on external side?
    you will need basic electricity tester to figure it out

6. mrdan

mrdan New Member

That’s the bit I’m unsure on. Is it as obvious as just wiring up either L/N pair and seeing which works?

Only one cable protrudes on the external side. Recommend any decent testers?

7. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

Put both blues together in a connector block, leave the brown in Com as it is and connect the other brown to L1.

8. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

I will need only tool that on ebay has a No 191870046721, cheep and HELPFUL you can test microwave leak, light bulbs, other circuits

9. mrdan

mrdan New Member

Thanks will give that a go! Does the switch not need at least one blue running into it though?

10. mrdan

mrdan New Member

Will check it out thank you!

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

No it does not. Wire it as HFS said

12. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

No.

13. mrdan

mrdan New Member

Thank you both! Really appreciate will give it a go today.

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Make sure you turn off the mains power first !!!

15. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

I'm guessing the wiring would be the same for a puul cord switch?

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Depends on what kind of pull switch you are referring to. If its a DP then wiring is totally different.

17. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Double pole?
    It has L1, L2 and Com. Two blue neutrals are in a block as are two earths, that leaves two browns, on one of the cables written in pen are 'L + N IN' so that would appear to be Com. The other should go into L1 switched live, but it doesn't operate the lights? Instead if the upstairs lights are on it switches them on and off simultaniously, but not the bathroom?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  18. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Sounds like there should be a 3rd cable for the bathroom, what you appear to have is the loop in and out wires that need to be connected together, 2 browns in com and 2 blues in the connector, the third wire - brown into L1 and blue into connector.

19. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You should start a new thread glob ,otherwise this one will get quite confusing.

Bazza likes this.
  20. glob@l

glob@l Active Member