Light Switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Barn Builder, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. Barn Builder

    Barn Builder New Member


    I'm not an electrician, but I have added sockets and lights in the past etc..

    Anyway, in one of my rooms I have a 4 gang 2 way light switch which controls 12 halogen downlights - each one 50 watts mains power. (Three downlights on each switch).

    The faceplate has a crack on it after being hit when moving furniture and so I need to get a new one.

    I notice Screwfix only sell 4g 2w switches that are called 10AX switches for this 4g size.

    I have looked inside the face plate and the wiring is very straightforward.

    My question is will this 10AX be ok or is this just for flourescent lights or inductive loads, (not that I know what inductive means)?

    I work out the power to be 12 x 50w = 600watts.

    This is less than 3 amps.

    I just don't know what the X in 10AX means and if it will be a suitable replacement for the existing damaged switch.

    Please help if you can.
  2. fooman

    fooman New Member

  3. Clark Kent

    Clark Kent New Member

    The switch you have chosen will be fine..;-)
  4. Barn Builder

    Barn Builder New Member

    Thanks. I thought it should be ok.

    Do you know what the X means in 10AX?
  5. Cronos

    Cronos New Member

    It means they don't have to be de rated for inductive loads such as fluorescents.
  6. JP.

    JP. Screwfix Select

    AX = Maximum Fluorescent Rating.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice