Light switches replaced - if turned on from either switch, the other switch doesn't turn light off

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by rfc1795, Nov 22, 2021.

1. rfc1795

rfc1795 New Member

Last week I replaced some light switches, (1 way and 2 way), I thought it was working fine but turns out it isn't o_O ... I didn't think to take pictures as it seemed straightforward and thought I'd replaced wire for wire from the old to the new switch. Switches have been binned so can't refer back to them to check, only realised too late when trying the other switch to turn off while the other was on that something is amiss.

Basically with the light off, if I turn it on from either switch, it does what it is supposed to, turns light on/off from either side. But, with the light turned on from either the 1 way or the 2 way (left switch), the other side switch won't turn the light off, it stays on. (Hope that makes sense.)

Wiring as it is now, 1 way side: (can't tell what is written on the white labels that were there.)
    1way1.jpg

2 way side:
    2way1.jpg

Wiring as follows: (Underscores to help with formatting)
    1-Way side:_______2-way left side: (controls 1 way)_________2-way right side:
    2 x Red - COM______Red - COM_______________________________Red - COM
    Black+Blue - L1_____Blue - L1________________________________Black - L1
    Yellow - L2_________Yellow - L2______________________________empty - L2

Can anyone advise which wires need to be moved into which connectors and on which switch?

Thanks!

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

two-way-real.jpg In the main only one wire to com. Switch wires are L1 and L2.

3. rfc1795

rfc1795 New Member

Thanks for the quick response! To be honest, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying on the 1 way switch, there shouldn't be 2 red wires going into com? Do I just insulate it safely and leave it aside? If so, I assume it is the red paired with the black cable I leave off?

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

With a on/off the on/off wires go between com and L1, with a two way set up they go between L1 and L2.

5. rfc1795

rfc1795 New Member

Thanks again, managed to get it sorted :)