Lighting circuit wired strangely

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by AdamJS44, Mar 14, 2019.

1. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

Hi there, I've recently purchased a property and have started to move two light switches. I took a look at the wiring in the attic last night and discovered that the lighting circuit is all wired from one junction box, each light then has a feed going to the switch, from the switch to the rose and then a neutral from the rose to the junction box.

I get the feeling I'm not allowed to wire this in the loop in method so what would the best plan of action be right now? I'm planning a rewire in the very near future anyway.

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Well-Known Member

Sounds like an Octopus system.
    How big is the junction box?

3. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

Large circular one, probably roughly the size of a saucer. Couldn't get any markings from it but the house is littered with them so I'll take a look at others later.

4. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

That method was used in older houses before the advent of loop-in wiring.
    It’s perfectly feasible to add or connect to this, if you know how it works.

5. Rulland

Rulland Well-Known Member

As Bazza, Any decent electrician would have marked the cables to A, Assist during the installation, and, B help during alterations or fault finding, I always do if I have the misfortune to come up against this wiring method.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

But if it was the 'Octopus system' it was not put in by an electrician, just a trained fitter. The whole Idea of this system was to do away with those 'Expensive' electricians.

7. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Whatever. Just need some more info from the OP do we can perhaps provide some actual guidance.

8. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

What gives you that idea Bob.I have seen them put in and put them in in a lot of sites in the seventies,all installed by Electricians,with or without an Apprentice.

No semi skilled people were used.

Bogle Crag likes this.
  9. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Member

What a strange thing to say, do you have sixth sense?

10. jaswinder Singh

jaswinder Singh New Member

dont know about it buddy it is surely an old method

11. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

there's no ARM to it