Lighting from socket feed?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by njm, Feb 11, 2019.

1. njm

njm Member

Im replacing 3 downlights in my newly refurbished built in wardrobe and they are robus 240v gu10 led's(were previosly g4 run on a transformer) but until now ive overlooked the fact that the feed that wS used and will be re-used(hopefully) was run from a wall circuit not from a lighting circuit. How big of a problem is this? What are the implications? Does it need a fused spur ?
    The feed was wired from an old single socket , bodged through a gap broken out of the casing-i changed this to a blanking plate , sunk the cable so it came out of a push out hole in the top of the pattress and ran new twin and earth to the wall under metal trunking and left it long with the end in a connector block in a chockbox until i had built my wardrobes, now im worried its not quite suitable and im risking a fire etc ?

2. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

Fit a fused spur where the single socket was, either switched or unswitched.If the circuit is Rcd protected just fit an ordinary spur if it is not fit an RCD spur.

You can then fit a switch wherever you need it and put a 5 amp fuse in the spur.

3. njm

njm Member

Trouble is mate where the wire is connected is now buried behind fitted wardrobe units that cannot be removed, so i can only access the loose end of the cable.
    Could i fit a fused spur in a surface mounted box and leave it semi loose above the wardrobe? (i have cut an access panel in the top to access the junction and wire it up in the immediate future)

4. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

The joint where the single socket was should be available for inspection and testing,unless you have put it in a maintenance free junction box.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

So the single socket where the feed has been taken from, is this also a spur or part of the ring circuit ?

If single socket is part of ring, then feed for lights is a spur, just need to connect feed to FCU and fit 3A fuse, connect lights to this

I may have misunderstood some of the post ? Dunno ?

6. njm

njm Member

Im gonna say it is a spur as im sure it only has one cable going into it-it would loop onwards if it was a ring wouldnt it? Im not too sure tbh, either way i cant get to it to change anything so can i use it at all for my lights? Or do i need to leave it be and try and pull a feed off the lighting circuit somehow(probly have to pay for a spark to come and do that)