Lighting relay

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Adam Disley, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Adam Disley

Adam Disley New Member

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I’m looking for some help!! I need to install a relay to switch a lighting circuit. This relay is to be switched via an AV system. When the tv screens come on, the lights go off. The AV guy has asked for a 0v no contact to connect his system too. I was told by Hager that an ERC218 relay will do the job. I just don’t know how to wire it.

it basically looks like a contactor that I’m familiar with. Can anyone help, or suggest something else I can use?

Thanks

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The relay has a 230 Vac coil and a set of N/O contacts and a set of normally closed which are volt free. However I can't make out what you want to do? Switch on the TV at same time as switching lights off, or switching lights off as you switch TV on? If former then use a double pole light switch, if latter then not sure if a 230 Vac relay would do the job?

There is also the point the relay needs to be fitted in an enclosure, and this is where we start to look at other options, for example if the 13A socket was a wifi controlled one and the light switch was also a wifi controlled one, you could program the same button to do both, so single press of a remote control button with do both functions. Likely better would be different buttons on same remote.

3. Adam Disley

Adam Disley New Member

Ok so basically. Soon as the AV System turns on (cinema room) lights go off. The av has a 0v NO contact as it’s switch for this. Once the AV system has finished doing its thing or switches off the lights come back on. I assume the Av will just open and close a contact. As long as I provide a 0v NO contact for the av guy that’s down to him to sort. I’m just doing the lighting side, (230v side of things)

Cheers

4. Adam Disley

Adam Disley New Member

So with you saying the contacts are volt free, if I was for example to use a link (piece of wire) and held it on the contacts, that would pull the relay in?

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

This sounds beyond you.

Your av is providing a volt free contact. Use that to switch a suitable rated contactor controlling your lights.

6. Adam Disley

Adam Disley New Member

But how can you use a contactor if you need 230v to pull the coil in?

7. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

use a 12V or 24V contactor coil,

8. Adam Disley

Adam Disley New Member

Thanks, I’m currently trying to source a 12v, soon as the av guy came to site I worked it out.