Lighting rose 4 2 core cable black & earth?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Fraser1981, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Fraser1981

Fraser1981 New Member

I’m not a complete novice and have change many lights, but just changing the light in my living room and there is a 4th 2 core wire with a black and striped cable with an earth insulated sleeve added. What would this cable be for/go to?

( I have already identified the other 3 cables that I would expect to see there, supply, switch and supply to next light)

upload_2021-9-24_23-14-24.jpeg

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

What was it connected to on the old light?

3. Fraser1981

Fraser1981 New Member

Yes it was the old light fitting

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Yes, but what was it connected TO?

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The most important cable is the black with the red sleeve, DO NOT allow the sleeve to fall off. Now take the remaining reds and put them in a connector, or the loop in terminal of a ceiling rose. The 3 remaining blacks go into another connector or the neutral in the ceiling rose, the light fitting neutral will also be connected here. Connect all of the earths in a connector, now you have the black with the red sleeve, that goes to a connector or to the live in the ceiling rose, it also goes to the light. That's it unless the light needs an earth. Switch the power back on and you should have light.

6. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Did you take a photo of connections before you disconnected previous fitting?

Do you have any test equipment?

Most likely Cables circled with white will be your loop. (supply in & supply out).

Cable circled with yellow will be your switch cable.

Please isolate the circuit in question & check it is indeed dead. Advise you isolate using main switch on your consumer unit.

Use a suitable terminal block connector, and connect the 2reds (loop) along with the unsleeved red from the switch cable into 1 terminal. (X3 reds in one terminal).

The remaining black wire with red sleeving in your switch cable, will be your switched live. Terminate this into a seperate terminal.

The 2 black wires in your (loop cables) are the neutrals. Terminate together into another terminal. (X2 in one terminal).

All earths ( bare copper) require sleeving with green/yellow sleeving. Then terminate these altogether into another terminal.

The fourth cable, black wire with a sleeved earth. Not sure what this is being used for? Some investigation/testing required. Is there a red wire visible in the sheath? 967B9619-120D-4356-BE2C-4052BB60B735.jpeg

7. Fraser1981

Fraser1981 New Member

No but the wires the left of picture were connect to the earth and neutral. Yes I have a multimeter, luckily I’m in a bungalow so can go in the loft.

just I have never seen just an earth and neutral on there own?