Lighting switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bradley6969, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:59 PM.

1. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Wiring lights,

When feeding at the switch do I have to have a feed in and out or can I just feed in like adding a switch, also if I feed one switch can I have two feeds out to different switches to feed them?

Also can I feed a switch then out to a pendant and then back to switch for instance

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

3. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Can I feed the switch and have 2 cables going out to feed other switches?

4. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

That's about as clear as mud !!

5. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Right,

1. Feeding at switches I’ll have an in and out so my last switches will just have a feed in?
    2. Can I feed one switch and have two outgoing cables to feed two other switches?
    3. Can I feed one switch then feed a pendant then back to a switch how ever I want to?

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

You can have as many feeds from the switch as will fit in the box, its a radial circuit so you can spur off a spur of a spur so to speak, like a star connection.

7. terrymac

A standard light switch will have a supply live ,and a switched live. If you are asking if you can join another cable to the supply live and take it to another accessory then yes you can. But why do you want to ,what are you thinking of doing or trying to achieve ?

8. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Thanks for your help

9. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

I have a switch with a feed at the moment, but either side is a bedroom so I’m gonna come off the switch with 2 outgoing feeds one for each switch and then up to my downlights in each room

10. terrymac

OK good. Where will you pick up the neutrals and earths from ? You must ensure they are on the same circuit ,the neutrals that is.

11. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Neutral and Earth is in a wago at the switch I’m coming off
    sorry I’m only an apprentice

12. terrymac

No worries mate. I assume the donor switch is on a lighting circuit .

13. Bradley6969

Bradley6969 Member

Yes it is and thanks for your help