Lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rod, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Rod

Rod New Member

I am converting my basement into a studio room, it about 24m sq, the ceiling is low at 7ft and there is a little natural light at one end. I was all set to install 15 X 20w lv halogen spots but after reading articles in this group I have been put off. Running costs are important as lighting could be on most of the time. I cannot seem to find energy saving fittings that will look the part (domestic/lounge)ish. Can any body suggest a cost effective way of lighting the area

2. Primesparky

Primesparky New Member

Hi, Sounds an interesting room/area you have there. If your main concern is to stay with low voltage lighting then dichroic spotlights(12volt)is a good alternative but if you want a modern way to light the area then how about concealed fluorescent lighting or even uplighters on the walls projecting off the ceiling, can be very tasteful in my opinion but not always to everybody's taste.

3. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

The 15 - 20w spots would cost (in electricity) about 2 pence an hour to run, not very expensive. How about reducing the number of spotlights and adding uplighters to the corners.

4. primesparky

primesparky Guest

A further thought... Just how bright do you intend the room to be? What type of studio is it going to be? If an art type studio then spotlighting is the usual way to light it, making a feature of the art work etc, but if it's just to be a living area type studio then, as we seem to agree, uplighters is the way forward really.
    Regards

primesparky

5. Rod

Rod New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, i am leaning towards 3 low voltage track units and some uplighters.

6. primesparky

primesparky Guest

I am sure it will look great when completed, good luck with your project and enjoy on completion..

Regards