lights dimming solution(5.11.03)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by stella, Nov 14, 2003.

1. stella

stella New Member

thanks for all the response to the fault i hads with my lights dimming when shower,cooker or even the kettle was switced on.i enevtually traced the fault to the bus bar on the neutral outgoing side of 100amp double pole breaker being cut to short and clamped BEHIND the clamp on the connector.i found out as on my arrival from a bonfire party the main trip had tripped,on closer examination it was not hard to see that the outgoing side of the breaker had melted and tripped.
    the fuse board was replaced about 4 months ago so this problem was just waiting to happen.
    if any one else has purchased a fuse board from screwfix recentley especially part no d11929 72 i would take 2 minutes and have it checked out

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I note that that CU doesn't have an RCD - how is your shower wired in?

3. stella

stella New Member

the shower is wired in off a seperate shower consumer unit.the shower unit is fed from a 50 amp breaker in the fuseboard to a 45 amo 30mamp trip.

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

That's OK then.

What about the sockets on the ground floor, or are you in a flat?

5. SC

SC New Member

I've got a similar (identical?) problem. When any heavy load is switched on, particularly the shower, the lights dip very noticably. The CU is about 1.5m from the meter in the next room (a DP switch is fitted next to the meter) and connected via hefty T&E, size unknown.

My first thoughts that it might be this causing the volt drop but measuring the voltage at a socket and at the output from the DP switch gives a 10V drop when the shower is on (240V with shower off and 230 wit it on) - i.e. the same in both places (I actually expected it to be more). I guess this means the problem is on the leccy company side, is there anything else I could check before I get them out? I'll have to get the CU sorted out anyway as there is no RCD for the shower (the garden is on a different CU with RCD).

Cheers
    Simon