lights inside shower cubicles

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lensman, May 10, 2004.

1. lensman

lensman New Member

I'm having a new shower cubicle installed and the plumber remarked that putting lighting inside it would look very nice. Sounds pretty, but I'm somewhat nervous of
    power this close to water (it's only a 2m ceiling, so easy to touch and likely to get pretty wet). I'm curious what the sparkies think of doing this sort of thing?

If it's okay, then are there any particular things that would be recommended. For instance:

Should low voltage lighting be used?

Can outdoor lights be fitted as wall-lights?

I've seen various things advertised as "in shower" lighting (for instance in the TLC catalogue), but can't tell from looking at the pictures if there are extra things that would have to be done to make them safe - and I don't intend to just `have a go and hope'.

Any and all opinions (even if it's only "don't be daft")
    gratefully received - especially with explanations.

2. Fused

Fused New Member

Bathrooms and Shower room/cubicles are a special category and your 2m height renders it all in a zone 1 area and thus no 240V lights, you must fit SELV (low voltage). Search this forum for SELV and also checkout the IEE OSG (On Site Guide) for details.

You can get SELV lighting combined with extractor fan assemblies, which might suit you depending what your out-of-cubicle ceiling/loft space and access is.

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

i agree 100% with that.