Lining paper lifting - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by CuriousGem, Aug 20, 2018.

1. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

I've moved into a 1970s house and the walls all have lining paper. I've tried painting the bedroom but the paper's lifted at the edges. Sanding it flat hasn't helped. It looks like I've got a damp problem when I haven't. There's so many layers of paint the paper has gone hard so I can't get glue underneath. Any suggestions what to do? I've tried posting pics but they're too big. I suspect there's a world of trouble under the paper if I removed it

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Blunt end printer ink syringe off ebay and shoot up with sticky Pva through a small slit and spread around with plastic scraper

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If the paper has lifted at edges, why can’t you get glue underneath ?

Understand about many layers of pain but just tease up loose edges with a scraper, even a table knife and PVA as above, or caulk works well

Allow paper to soften for few mins after adding glue then push back into place, damp cloth or a seam roller

Wipe away any excess glue/caulk

Don’t try to sand these edges - ur gonna end up damaging paper and will look a whole lot worse

If successfully glued down, you can fill any gaps between paper and paint over - loads of info on this site about ‘gaps in lining paper’

Good luck

4. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

OK I'll try that. I had a go with a Stanley knife on some of them last night and I have managed to get to the gaps. Some of it has lifted in the middle - would injecting that with glue also work?

Does it matter what PVA? Kids stuff is cheaper! Also, are either PVA or caulk easier when it comes to eventually removing the paper later? I assume PVA you could just soak?

Thanks

5. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="CuriousGem, post: 1629934, member: 185027" I suspect there's a world of trouble under the paper if I removed it[/QUOTE]

You will need to tackle the trouble at some point. Unless there is a burning reason to postpone it, might just be as well as peel it back and see what you are dealing with?

DIY womble likes this.
  6. furious_customer

When I am painting and I have paper peeling at the corners I usually just put a blob of paint under the part that is lifting and that usually sticks it to the wall.

7. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

You will need to tackle the trouble at some point. Unless there is a burning reason to postpone it, might just be as well as peel it back and see what you are dealing with?[/QUOTE]

If it was my forever home I would consider it but it's my first home and I'm unlikely to stay more than a 5 years. I have a whole house to do on my own and no money to pay for a plasterer should one be needed. The lining paper in both bedrooms is lumpy as hell. I THINK it looks like they've tried to remove old paper, done a rubbish job and chucked more paper up over the top but I don't know for certain. I'm happy to give things a try but I don't have any experience in any of this.

8. furious_customer

He he - I hear you - been there many times and was just being a bit of a devils advocate!

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If it was my forever home I would consider it but it's my first home and I'm unlikely to stay more than a 5 years. I have a whole house to do on my own and no money to pay for a plasterer should one be needed. The lining paper in both bedrooms is lumpy as hell. I THINK it looks like they've tried to remove old paper, done a rubbish job and chucked more paper up over the top but I don't know for certain. I'm happy to give things a try but I don't have any experience in any of this.[/QUOTE]

Best stuff is an aerosol can of contact adhesive. Carefully spray the wall, then back of paper. Let dry, then push together, working from the stuck bit outwards.

SF do do their 'no nonsense' brand which is cheap and will be fine.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

We already have/had one of those :)

11. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

Well the glue worked but... the paper lifted in different places when we painted it! :(

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not at all unusual, will be ok when paint has dried overnight.

13. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

It worked. Took a couple of attempts because when we fixed one but another lifted but futo a distance it's not too bad. Thank you for your help