Lining paper over patterned paper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Nick England, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Nick England

Nick England New Member

So I've got this wallpaper in one of the rooms of the house, and I want to get shot of it.

[​IMG]

The house is Georgian, with very old lime plaster walls, so stripping it is not going to be an option. It'll be a nightmare underneath.

I have two options. One is paint over it, which I'm not too keen on as it'll still show the pattern.

The other could be to use some 1400 lining paper and then paint over it. Would it still show the pattern underneath? I've never used it before.

Cheers,

Nick

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Reckon you could strip it carefully, hot water with spot of white vinegar, score paper lightly,then carefully dampen wall paper,leave to soak about 5 minutes or so, should come away easily using scraper.

Where our decorator Astra.:)

3. Nick England

Nick England New Member

Like I said, I've got no desire to strip this stuff off. We took the decoration off one of the bedrooms upstairs, and the walls were a catastrophe. Lime plaster, and very old. The paper here is intact, but holding it all in place. Would rather do what every other bugger with an old house does and add another layer!

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

5. Nick England

Nick England New Member

Looks good. Ta muchly.

6. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

No, No....not enough contact for the Fibreliner to adhere to. The paper on the wall is a Graham & Brown Super Fresco a heavy duty paper. Strip it off by hand with hot soapy water do not use a steam wallpaper stripper. The textured pattern will simply peel off with a little perseverance leaving a backing paper prior to soaking with the hot soapy water.

Lining paper will not be any better either, carefully strip it is the way forward!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  7. Nick England

Nick England New Member

Thanks Astramax. Would that paper take paint at all well?

The idea of stripping it fills me with dread. I've got no idea of the state of the walls underneath, and would rather not do a replaster.

8. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

The existing paper will take paint very well indeed, however I honestly believe carefull hand stripping will remove it with good results.

A soft sheen emulsion paint would look great on that embossed paper far better than matt....don't even consider silk!

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

:)

We agree...:eek::D

10. Nick England

Nick England New Member

Thanks.. Will look at painting it, and if we eventually decide to remove the paper, we will go down that route.

We had such a nightmare with one of the other rooms that got stripped, I'd rather not try to repeat it. And that was with a pro doing the job for me.

11. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Stripping wall paper on lime plaster is toally different game to stripping on modern plasters,seen wallpaper stripped from lime plaster using steam stripper with disastrous results,& decorator was apprantly a pro.:eek: