Lining Paper Seems

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by New Bouy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. New Bouy

New Bouy New Member

I'm pretty new to decorating but i need some help working out what im doing wrong when hanging lining paper which is to be painted.

What seems to happen on completion is that some of the seems would either show a hairline crack or the seem itself would open up as if the paper has shrunk back - considerably - although you wouldn't have known when finishing the papering stage.

My problem i think is that i'm using Polycel Onefil (finefiller) to fill any gaps which is probably cracking when the paper is drying/shrinking back??? but i know thats not the complete answer because it happens in other areas too.

Is my paperhanging too careless? Is my paste perhaps too thick/thin? i'm going in the next day and painting the lining paper. Is that too soon?

I've also noticed the paint cracking over where i've caulked up to the ceiling or woodwork etc is that because i haven't left it long enough to dry if my bead is too think?

Please help i just can't work it out.

2. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

1. You haven't got enough paste on the edges.

2. Use a good size mix depending on the surface.

3. You shouldn't be filling any gaps as your paper should be butted up as much as poss,without lapping on, so there shouldn't be any gaps.

4. Always sponge your edges down.

5. After caulking, go over it with some thinned, oil based undercoat. This, prevents cracking.

6. Nothing wrong with painting it the next day.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

7. Spreading the paper with a brush to 'make the seams meet' artificially stretches the paper(which then shrinks back as it dries). Make the seam meet without 'spreading'.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Boolay

Boolay Member

Everything Guttercat says!

5. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

6. decortyke

decortyke New Member

Fact is youve picked a job to do that requires plenty of skill, experience and product knowledge.

As much as we can advise you on this type of work I wouldnt expect too much the first few times you attempt to prep, line and emulsion. Its more of a job to be shown than to be talked through.

Its a popular misconception that "decoratings easy" and "easy to pick up". Suppose it is if you want to bodge everything in sight lol.

7. potty painter

potty painter New Member

decor.

I dont wish to cause offence here, so please dont take it as such.

New Bouy never made no mention with regard to taking up the trade to earn a living, and it could also be the case that he was only seeking advice regarding his own property.

I spent what seemed like a very long time learning my trade, on the promise of a gold watch I stayed on to do my C&G. I found though that I learned very little and the learning curve only started when I left tech'

I suppose my point here is everyone deserves the chance to obtain the same knowledge as someone of which has served his time. It dosent often pay off but worth to me the effort of giving it.

PS: Still got that watch

Take care

Potty.

8. decortyke

decortyke New Member

None taken. He recognises that his work isnt as good as he would like and Im telling him not to expect too much as its a skilled task hes taken on. Wouldnt you agree??

9. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Potty.

I spent what seemed like a very long time learning my trade, on the promise of a gold watch I stayed on to do my C&G. I found though that I learned very little and the learning curve only started when I left tech'

PS: Still got that watch

Take care

Potty

Potty,

You're kidding again, aren't you? Upon completion of the full C&G qualifications in P&D you should have three certificates and your skills and technical knowledge would have benefitted immensly.

What standard of release were you on with your employer and the college?

Regards

Goodwill

10. decortyke

decortyke New Member

Have to agree Goodwill. Mine attended Leeds College of building until he completed last year. Both he and his brother went down that route and both benefitted greatly from it and so did I as an employer.

11. Puma.

Puma. New Member

You all know you learn some stuff at college and then carry on learning and never stop learning. The important thing is determination to do a good job - that generally marks good from bad decorators.

This person seems keen to learn.

If the wall is bumpy, you will get some gaps opening up. The distance for the wallpaper to travel over a bump is greater than when it is not. I still get some gaps and I have done loads of lining - wallrock and medium ready mixed paste is my usual method, for flattish walls, old style for bumpy.