Lining paper, which way up?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Clarts, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

A point to add. You should never fill over lining
    paper directly, as it furs when you sand it. If for
    any reason you need to fill lining paper joins, do it
    when it has had a coat of emulsion. Another point a
    gap is better than a lap!

Chris

Chris, agree about a gap being better than an overlap, but if its lines properly you shoud get neither. That was my whole point. Regarding the sanding point, what grade are you using 40? If you use 180 or above and 'feather' the filler you should not cause it to fur. If you use a filler like Red Devil there should be virtually no sanding of the filler required

2. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Burlington u r a pro at hanging paper Clarks isn't. If he can hang perfect paper in one go then should do it for a living. Wow who needs professionals.

3. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

& my paper never furs light handed. & I say once again when u paste paper it expands when u put it on the wall it will shrink if u don't let it sit, tell me i'm wrong?

4. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

& there is wall movement tilers never but tiles in the corner for this reason

5. Burlington Bertie

:) how people manage to get themselves so irate about
    how they do things,look man who has been doing it for
    that many years aint gonna change ,and belinda if
    your happy doing it your way then so be it stick with
    it,as for the the fella who is looking for advice
    well you can always try both methods and see what u

;) ps i wont say which method i prefer because i can
    feel some vibes here !

Tyke, I may be an old fart, but I would listen to others views and try anything new if i could see a benefit in time saving or ease of work in my day-to-day business. What I was objecting to was advice and incorrect information being to the original posting. Belinda's point about three coats and the seams still showing is what she experienced, simply because she was'nt doing the paper properly. Tim's point about leaving a gap (I presume he was talking about cross lining, but it does'nt matter) is nonsense. (Look at the hanging instruction on the back of the MAV lining paper label). In any decorating, the better you do the preparation the better the end resultand the easier the job will be. Therefore if the lining paper is put up (vertical or horizantal) with the paper butted perfectly, you do'nt have to fill joins, you do'nt have to then rub the filler down and you do'nt have to apply more than 2 coats of emulsion. Surely nobody in their right minds (certainly not pro's) wants to spend hours and hours fiddling around doing things that need not have to be done if a little care and attention was made in the paper hanging???

In my 40 odd years, I have never known lining paper to shrink, as Belinda says it does. Again, she is not doing it properly if she has had this problem, or perhaps she has used cheap, rubbish paper (more likely, not doing it properly.

6. Burlington Bertie

Belinda, I'm afraid there' a little more than being able to get it right in one go to being a pro decorator and making a living at it. If I got a pound for every time I've heard 'Oh, he's ever so clever, he does all his own decorating, carpentry, electrical work and plumbing himself' I'd be a millionaire. Yeah, right. I see their work every day of the week. There is a saying in the trade 'There are paperhangers and there are people who hang paper'
    Burlington u r a pro at hanging paper Clarks isn't.
    If he can hang perfect paper in one go then should do
    it for a living. Wow who needs professionals.

7. Burlington Bertie

Belinda, I am not sure what you mean about paper shrinking when you put it up 'if do'nt let it sit'. Do you mean soak?? If you do, then I can't answer your question - I have never put lining paper up without letting it soak. And I presume you mean lightly sanded instead of light handed? Can you also tell me what grade paper you used and where you got it from

& my paper never furs light handed. & I say once
    again when u paste paper it expands when u put it on
    the wall it will shrink if u don't let it sit, tell
    me i'm wrong?

8. Burlington Bertie

Please Belinda, you are making yourself a laughing stock with this remark. For Gods sake, where did you get this one from. Look in any bathroom, any toilet (in someones home, in any office or commercial building or in any place that sells tiles) and check whether there are tiles in the corners.

& there is wall movement tilers never but tiles in
    the corner for this reason

9. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Oh there is a suprise BB being a pain in the ar*e as usual.

Telmay

10. Triplock

Triplock New Member

Arguing about different methods of hanging lining paper. Jeez, get a life you sad fekers, especially BB. 40+ years in the trade, so what. Wall papering, it's sooooo difficult.

11. ­

­ New Member

Wall papering is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.

I papered my living room recently, looks fab. I'm sure those blisters will shrink in time. I tried to mallet flat a bump until I realised it was the light switch.

Replacing light switches is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.

I pulled some plaster off when fixing the light switch and had to repair that.

Plastering is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.

When I plastered the repair I dropped a load on the carpet.

Carpet laying is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.

When I re-layed the carpet I damaged all the skirtings.

Fixing skirtings is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.

When re-fitting the skirtings I damaged the wallpaper.

Wall papering is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.........

12. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

Wall papering is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.

I papered my living room recently, looks fab. I'm
    sure those blisters will shrink in time. I tried to
    mallet flat a bump until I realised it was the light
    switch.

Replacing light switches is p*ss easy, any idiot can
    do it.

I pulled some plaster off when fixing the light
    switch and had to repair that.

Plastering is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.

When I plastered the repair I dropped a load on the
    carpet.

Carpet laying is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.

When I re-layed the carpet I damaged all the
    skirtings.

Fixing skirtings is p*ss easy, any idiot can do it.

When re-fitting the skirtings I damaged the
    wallpaper.

Wall papering is p*ss easy, any idiot can do
    it.........

BB said he's gonna mash ya face in for taking the ****, am not wanting to cause trouble of course:)

13. Burlington Bertie

Not at all, Plastic. I like your post (and you are right, papering is p*ss easy)

14. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

Not at all, Plastic. I like your post (and you are
    right, papering is p*ss easy)

I didn't say it was easy, it was cleverman, I just quoted his state of the nation speech.

15. Be kind

Be kind New Member

Hi Bertie.

came across this old thread, dunno if you’re still active but after a bit of advice if you could please?

Just bought some thick foil finished wallpaper and the reviews say it’s tricky to put up, my thoughts were to get some 1400 lining paper to help it stick to the wall better.
    now, all instructions for lining paper say horizontal with 1mm gap for lining paper - should I or shouldn’t I leave the 1mm gap please? Any idea why this is suggested as I’ve not seen anywhere (in my brief googling) why the gap should be there...?

Also, the reviews say that this foiled paper tends to curl at the edges, any tips on how to stop this please?

And yes, I am asking for advise from someone who’s been in the trade for many years as I admit I am a bit of a novice. Only papered a handful of times but always with cheap wilko paper. This time it is expensive stuff and I done want to mess it up!

Appreciate yours (or any other professional’s) response