Linking Coils from a twin cylinder water tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Martin T, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Martin T

Martin T New Member

HI All

I had a whole new heating system put in with a 300L Worcester water cylinder, this is the one where you can have solar hot water if you want.

After all my renovations its clear that there is no money left for these panels. I had a plumber recently tell me that if I am not going to install the panels to consider linking the top and bottom half as this would:

Give me a greater heat up time
    Mean that the whole tank holds hot water rather than 2/3rds hot and the bottom half cold
    He said it would cost around £100

Sounded like a good idea to me however typically another plumber rubbished this idea and said there are no benefits.

Any views please

2. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Your first plumber is correct.
    The heat recovery time could be approximately halved.
    The stainless steel cylinders use small stainless steel coils which do not conduct heat well due also to the metal and especially on large cylinders it would be best to have 2 coils joined. In fact it would be recommended to buy twin coil cylinders solely for extra surface area twin coils give.

Strictly speaking you need a G3 unvented qualified plumber to do the work as to connect it wrong would overheat the cylinder and over heat is the real danger if unvented cylinder

KIAB likes this.
  3. Martin T

Martin T New Member

Thanks very much for fast reply.

The plumber I use is GasSafe but assume G3 is different. Do I just ask if they are G3?

Also my boiler and water tank are new as mentioned so will doing this affect the warranty, if you know.

4. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

With your current setup the cylinder will still fully heat but will take a bit time.
    Increasing the coil size would reduce the heat up time but the quantity of heated water would remain the same.

5. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Sometimes the gas ticket also has the G3 qualification. You would need to check that with your plumber.
    The cylinder warranty on the cylinder won’t be affected if the coils are joined.
    The warranty you have with the installer could be void if the same installer didn’t do the alterations. It shouldn’t be, but it has been known for people to use that as an excuse