Lino flooring bonded to floor boards

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by john9159, Oct 4, 2021.

1. john9159

john9159 New Member

I've just lifted a carpet in the living room to find lino type floor tiles stuck fast to the floor boards.
    Many years ago I found the same in my kitchen and nothing would shift them. I tried burning them off and using a spade but the floor got ruined and had to be replaced.
    I don't want to replace the living room floor as it is still that fitted in the 1920's.
    What can be done to remove this without causing irreparable damage to the floor boards?
    Thank you

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How do you know the Lino is stuck to the floorboards, or to sheets of hardboard/ply?

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Why do you need to actually remove the lino tiles ?

What flooring finish are you planning on ?

4. john9159

john9159 New Member

There has always been a kind of shadow through the carpet.
    Imagine the floor completely covered with lino but for some bizarre reason a central area of lino tiles measuring approx. 5ft x 5ft had been removed, or never fitted.
    Perhaps the former occupier had a rug fitted, who knows.
    This is what was found.
    The floor boards in the central area are perfect but I want the floor levelling for the new finish.
    Some tiles have lifted around the fire hearth.
    Suggestions for a solution are welcome.
    Thanks

5. Drewsk

Drewsk New Member

Have you tried a multi-tool to remove them? 'Still takes ages but I've see them used for this before.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

These floor tiles may well contain asbestos so before you go chipping them up, may well be an idea to purchase a test kit

Simplest option would be to only lift whats loose, thoroughly clean/degrease the tiles, coat of diluted SBR, float over a coat of self levelling compound - job done

7. vascoarnoldus

vascoarnoldus New Member

There is this vibrating tool (i don't know the exact name) that can be buy online. I saw the demo on online shop tv showing how this thing work for removing carpet on floor boards.