Lintel alternative?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mcooper2406, Jun 23, 2019.

1. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

Morning All,

I'm fitting a UPVC door in this opening that comes just short of the UPVC panels that are there now. The problem is I don't want to remove the bricks under the current base plate (not sure if that's the right term) to put a lintel in that wall.

I am building that wall up by one block so I could just lay the lintel on that but that would be 100mm not 150mm at each end.

Just wondering if anyone else can think of anything I could do as it will only be supporting one row of bricks max?

Thanks,

Matt 15612346460801.jpg 15612346460801.jpg 15612346212920.jpg

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

nice to have it solid
    plastic fasci cover it
    but i would as you are

3. mcooper2406

Morning All,

Just incase anyone stumbles across this with the same issue I spoke to the manufacturers who said 100mm overlap at each end was sufficient for the span of that lintel so no need to bed into the wall. All in and sorted now.

4. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Window fitters usually use a steel angle for lintels 1/2 of the angle going into the cavity. I'd assume they would do the same with doors. I've had 2 done like that one a long time ago and no problems.

John
    -

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look at Catnic ANG Single Leaf Wall Lintel,various lengths might be suitable.

As above used one over a doorway a long time ago,did the job, never fell down.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  6. mcooper2406

Yeah I looked at that but it's double brick with no cavity so would have needed 2. I've just put 2 lintels in parallel now with a 100mm overhang and each end.

Cheers

Diyloser likes this.