Lintels?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Andy O'Brien, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Andy O'Brien

Andy O'Brien New Member

Hi,

I'm building a one story outbuilding - using thermocrete blocks (440x215x215mm).
    The top of the french door (1800mm wide) and two windows(1200mm wide each) will be in the top layer of blocks - i.e. there is no 'wall' weight to support - just the lintel itself then the wall plate/roof
    Flat roof will be (assuming I win the lottery) epdm on osb/ply on 2x8 joists

I was looking at the prestressed concrete lintels - but presume would need two on each opening to cover the 215mm wall width?

Any recommendations/suggestions as to why this is wrong/anything better welcome

Cheers
    Andy

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

They come in different widths and depths.

3. Andy O'Brien

Andy O'Brien New Member

Sure - the widest I've seen though is 150 - so I assumed I'd be better off with two 100's

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Screenshot_20211007-182516.png

stuart44 likes this.
  5. Andy O'Brien

Andy O'Brien New Member

Thanks - hadn't spotted them - however would cost nearly 5 times as much for one of them as opposed to two 100mm wide lintels!

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Just a thought but if your wall plate is 100mm wide as is normal, what’s the other lintel for ?

7. Andy O'Brien

Andy O'Brien New Member

Don't forget to take into account that I don't know what I'm doing!
    OK - first off I didn't know wall plates are normally 100mm wide?
    I basically thought two lintels on the outsides of the block with an air gap in between would:
    Give me an 'inside' and 'outside' wall to use
    Spread the load over the blocks as much as possible
    Give me some insulation because of the air gap