Lintol

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ex matelot, Nov 4, 2009.

1. ex matelot

ex matelot New Member

Hi, i live in a 1970's bungalow and have recently taken out a catnic lintol which went across the centre of my lounge and terminated onto a pier at each end which were butted into concrete block walls at right angles to the piers. The block walls are not supporting walls as they run the same way as the ceiling joists. I recently had a builder in to install a new chimney and it was on his advice that I took out the lintol as he said the roof was self supporting. I wanted to be sure so I inserted a 200m x 50mm length of timber between the two walls and tying in the roof joists as a belt and braces job. Does anyone think I have done the wrong thing and should have put in a new full length lintol or will what i've done be ok?

Cheers

2. meebabs

meebabs New Member

you should have asked this question before you took it out! why do you think it was there?

3. imran_

imran_ New Member

Give the guy a break. If he can't spell "lintel" what chance does he have of independent thought???

4. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

So someone went to the effort of building 2 piers and installing a lintel that wasn't required. Seems unlikely. If your post is serious, I strongly suggest you get a structural engineer in to check it out.

5. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

Hi,
    At what height was the lintel in relation to the ceiling height?

6. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

Hello, Are you there Ex Matelot.
    Or have you been Buried under your collapsed Bungalow!!!!

7. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

It's OK, he put a sticky plaster on the 2" timber.
    Proper job.

8. ex matelot

ex matelot New Member

Sorry guys i've been away. Appologies for my spelling mistake (not my strong suit)I've spoken to builing regs and the local guy's coming out to see what i've done. He seems to think I should have put two 150mm x 50mm timbers side by side on top of the joists instead of one 200mm x 50mm. but fingers crossed he will ok it. i hope he doesn't want a lintel up there as it was a struggle getting the timber into the loft as it's less than 1400mm high.

Cheers

9. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

Hi,
    Lets us know how you go on, as I'm now puzzled as to why it was there in the first place?

10. meebabs

meebabs New Member

I think this is a windup.

11. DulwichTed76

DulwichTed76 New Member

Don't apologise for your spelling - your use of lintol is perfectly correct - it is the British English spelling. Lintel is American English.

12. DulwichTed76

DulwichTed76 New Member

He can spell lintol - lintel is American English, lintol is British English so you are both correct, depending on where you live!

13. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

I would have gotten a SE to take a look before i removed a lintel. No way would i take the word of any builder, especially with the problems we have had recently with one.

14. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Perhaps after nearly seven years it really has fallen on his head........