Liquid damp proofing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by m88, Apr 5, 2020.

1. m88

m88 New Member

Currently the driveway is too high it is sitting over the current damp proofing and air vents which I believe was causing the bricks to absorb moisture.

I have dug up the side of the drive and around the front of the house (where the drive or grass was above the damp proofing or air vents) to ensure the air vents are now not blocked. I have allowed the bricks to dry as they were wet.

I was planning to use liquid damp proof membrane on the bricks to ensure they do not absorb any water and then fill the area I have dug with gravel.

I need some advice on if this is a good idea or if any one has used liquid damp proofing before.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I would leave it for awhile and see what happens.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  3. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

As above. Bricks are supposed to breathe. If you put stuff on to seal water out, but some still gets in (and it will), in winter the frost will destroy the bricks.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If they were underground, and are going to be going back to being underground if you backfill, then you need a damp proof membrane.
    I used a really good product for that (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SECCO-RO...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649).
    It still allows the wall to breath (to some extent) thanks to the gap created by the standoffs.
    It's completely waterproof, but any water that does make it past the plastic won't make it to the wall, as it will drop down the gap and be collected and removed by the perforated pipe that is laid at its base.
    I used such a system on my garage which used to be horrendously damp (even wet) because it was half buried underground. It's been bone dry ever since, even after the really wet winter we've just had.

CGN likes this.