Load bearing walls

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Harryfoxjay, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Harryfoxjay

Harryfoxjay New Member

Hello Guys

Im after a second opinion on Whether my 1st floor wall is load bearing.

I had an architect come round today and he seems to think it’s not, as the wall doesn’t run from ground floor up to 1st floor continuously although there is a wall on the ground floor which is 2.2m from back of the house, the 1st floor wall is 3m from back of the house.

I thought it was a load bearing wall as it’s taking the weight from the roof through the struts sitting on the wall.

The wall runs from side to side of the house and the floor joists run from front to back.

any other information I can provide please let me know.

looking forward to hearing your views

thanks

2. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

Your first floor joists will be loaded onto the downstairs wall.

The first floor wall should either be a stud wall or a brick wall onto steelwork. You need to find out which before you can say whether it is load bearing or not below. You also need to go into the loft and ascertain whether any loads are being applied up there. Its hard to give you any firm advice without more details as it could be that some idiot previously removed a brick wall below not knowing it was holding a load above. Highly unlikely but still makes it difficult to advise you easily.

It may be that its a studded wall and a very small load is being applied through it to your timber floor which is why you need to check the loft as you wouldnt want to disturb your roof whilst doing work below.

Any decent builder , brickie, joiner could give you this info within 20 minutes at you property.

3. Harryfoxjay

Harryfoxjay New Member

Thanks for the quick reply

it’s definately not A stud wall, as it’s solid.

it’s bearing the load of the roof through struts, this is why I thought it’s load bearing.

Is there any way I can find out myself if there is a steel supporting the wall?

4. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

I would certainly hope there is a steel under it.

From the room directly below the wall is there any obvious area where the steel is? ie anyting that looks like a beam that has been plastered over? If not then you would have to assume that the steel is within the floor / ceiling void, in which case the best bet is to lift a few floorboards upstairs against the wall to see where the bricks go down to. You should find a fairly hefty steel beam. I fyou dont then I would be worried and would consult a structural engineer asap.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go into the loft space and see if the ceiling to timbers have a gap as I had the same concerns years ago an it was not a load bearing wall....as luck had it my late father was the local building control officer !:)

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Late 60s early 70s builds you often see first floor walls of 3 inch block work built off inch thick soleplates running across the joists

7. Harryfoxjay

Harryfoxjay New Member

Thank you for all the reply’s I really appreciate them.

there isn’t a gap between ceiling and timbers in the loft.

from what I can see, the wall is built straight on top of the floorboards.

I will attach a photo, the wood you will see are floorboards and the wall is directly on top.

I’m guessing the floor joists are supporting the wall and the joists are being supported by the ground floor wall. Can this be right?

as far as I know no walls have been removed.

Attached Files:

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The floor joists will not be supporting the wall if it's load bearing.

9. Harryfoxjay

Harryfoxjay New Member

Thanks for the help guys

that has answered my question

(Not a load bearing wall)