Load Bearing?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CompaneroDave, Sep 25, 2020.

1. CompaneroDave

CompaneroDave New Member

Hi. I want to knocks wall down. Mid Terrace house, c.1920's. Ground floor. Sounds hollow. Have looked in loft space and wall is not perpendicular to joists. However, there is a wall directly above it. Could anyone advise on what they think? I'm a total novice by the way! Also, I know the easiest way would be to get a builder in but just trying to see if it can be done first! Cheers!

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Is the wall above a solid brick wall or made of timber and plasterboard..

3. CompaneroDave

CompaneroDave New Member

Seems similar - timber and plasterboard. Similarly hollow as the one downstairs directly below it

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

If it is definitely a stud partition wall it won't be load bearing. However, it may still sound hollow if you tap it if it's plasterboarded dot and dab over blockwork or brickwork. Only way to know for sure is cut a square out of the plaster board.

5. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Don’t assume first floor joists run the same way as ceiling joists, check ;)

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Stud walls can certainly be load bearing, they can be racking/buttress walls and also be supporting the roof load. An indication but not set in stone is the door lining width, if it's 5 and a quarter inches wide on seemingly a hollow sounding wall then the studs are probably 4x2 and probably taking weight somewhere, likewise for a 6 inch wide lining.

Hfs, stevie22 and Alwaysworking like this.
  7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I think load bearing stud walls need special construction. A standard 3 x 2 stud at 600mm centres with noggings at half or third points won't take a load from a floor. Load bearing walls don't necessarily carry loads from a wall above. They have floor joists resting on them and structural beams. They can also double up as shear walls adding bracing to the building.

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If the wall runs across the house, dividing front from back, then even though it may not be needed to hold up the wall above, it will provide support for the downstairs wall at each end or it. If everyone in the terrace knocks down the same wall in their house, stability issues may arise with wind loading on the end gable walls. Not just a simples job!

9. CompaneroDave

CompaneroDave New Member

Hi - thanks for your replies. I've checked floor upstairs and the joists on the ceiling, between 1st floor and ground floor, run in the same direction as wall, so not perpendicular. I've also attached a photo of the section of wall I want to remove. So, as you can see it's actually just a section of wall and not the whole section.

Attached Files: