Location of central heating pump

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stuart-IOW, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Stuart-IOW

Stuart-IOW New Member

Hi there,
    I have an open vented central heating system powered by a wood stove boiler.
    The boiler is situation downstairs then i have pretty much have the downstairs pipework run off downstairs and the upstairs pipework disappear off upstairs (tee'd behind the boiler).
    The expansion and fill tank is obviously upstairs and i was going to install the pump before the tee to the different floors, is this fine to do?
    I have just read the pump needs to be after the expansion tank on the feed circuit.
    Is it advisable to place it there (worried about circulation on downstairs rad's then!).

Advise please gents,

Many thanks,
    Stu

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

3. BUMDRUM

BUMDRUM New Member

What controls have you in place to stop water boiling,what output is the stove,where exactly are you going to BUNG the pump in.If I were you i,d get a Plumber in before you blow the house up.

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Ooh! A bit dramatic today musky?

5. BUMDRUM

BUMDRUM New Member

Solid fuel can be lethal in the wrong hands,take look at yer drawing,its not for a Diyer,;)

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I agree but I was trying to be a teensy bit helpful. ;)

7. BUMDRUM

BUMDRUM New Member

No probs cool cat.;)

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

9. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Popular misconception that's it's a 'pump'. It's a circulator, lifting heated water & increasing the pressure on the Flow & reducing the pressure on the Return. You central heating system is a Ferrous wheel, if you lift the water to the top(head), it'll drop back down again on free fall.

Fitting your 'circulator/s' on the Flow you must always have the open part of the system(F&E)on the suction side of your circulator, for the reasons I gave above.

10. Lonnie Donegan

Lonnie Donegan New Member

Yes indeed, watch out for those Ferrous wheels,they rust terribly.

11. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Look Loonie, if you have nothing constructive to add, why not just crail back under your stone!!
    What does the wife want for Xmas, a man??...:^O

12. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

how are you planning on controlling the pump ?? pipe stat would be best, will stop the water circulating when the water temp drops, is this a new install or a existing ?? more info reqd