Locked in (faulty UPVC door mechanism)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by WackySpike, Oct 16, 2009.

1. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Hi guys, I have a UPVC door handle on the main external door, which has begun to move freely i.e. It rotates 360 degrees continuously without any result. The key in the euro cylinder rotates fine and locks & unlocks without any problem. I've removed the door handles and checked the spindle but there nothing wrong with it it fits perfectly, however I can clearly see the inside mechanism rotating freely. The problem is rollers are in the closed position so I can't open the door to replace the lock. Is there any way I can get the door open! or is it a trip to the dreaded locksmith?

2. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

You could always look at unfixing the hinges, depends on the style as to whether or not you are able to.

3. Doink

Doink New Member

When you say the spindle fits perfectly do you mean into the handle OR when you push it through the mechanism? Normally its the square drive that fails in the mech where the spindle goes through,if the door has been hard to lock you end up putting to much force through the square drive and it breaks up and falls into the main gearbox.

One way to open as has been said is to remove from the hinge side but without knowing which hinges you have its imposible to advise.

The second is if you have a matching door fitted at the same time by the same company have a look at where the rollers or hooks are and which way they move,up or down when you lift the handle,what i usually then is get a flexible scraper/filling knife push it in and tap it up or down to unlock the rollers from the keeps

4. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Thanks for your reply guy. Doink the square drive is rotating, as far as I know. After some browsing on the net I think my hinges are Sidewinder Butt Fit UPVC Door Hinge, like the one on the following page;

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/by-application-192/door-hardware-upvc-74/hinges-butt-fit-for-upvc-doors-93/sidewinder-butt-fit-upvc-door-hinge-493.html

Unfortunately I don't know if they're possible to open especially when the door is closed, not tried yet may do so later on. the diagram on the page was useful.

Once again thanks for the replies let you know how I get on.

5. The chances are that there will be dog bolts on the hinge, protecting the door against having the hinges done over.

Get a locksmith, it will be cheaper in the long run.:(

6. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

Where abouts are you located?

7. He's standing in his kitchen trying to get out:D:D:D

8. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Located somewhere near Halifax, Rochdale, Burnley area, in a place called Todmorden. If you know any good locksmiths in the area please let us know.

9. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

A bit too far for me I'm afraid.

10. Doink

Doink New Member

Here in derby that would of been my area ish,glad i dont do 24hr anymore

11. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

12. Doink

Doink New Member

Why dont you ring your insurance company tonight,they'll have a locksmith there within 2 hours or if your happy its secure then they'll come out tomorrow.

It'll cost you your £50 XS,a new mech will cost £60/70 at least and thats if its not obselete,if its got butt hinges on it may be an old door as most now have flag hinges fitted,just an idea

13. fitero

fitero New Member

It seems a standard problem,sorted very quickly with a short visit,so send me your card details and we will be there as soon as the payment clears:to cornish lockthings @ erm,erm here,you know.

14. These guys any good The Ex-Kitchen Fitter If not I'm using dynamite.

Sorry mate I have no idea what you mean.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You can take the hinge-pin out.

Careful when you do because the doors are quite heavy, AND you may have a 'lock-latch' in addition to your rollers. You will have to slightly pull the door out at the hinge side, then lift the whole door to clear those latches.

Once you have the door pulled out slightly, you should just have access from outside to those latches, so a friend could help release them with a flat tool.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. Mr H, any half decent PVCu door will have dog bolts that are there to prevent what you have described from happening.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Mr H, any half decent PVCu door will have dog bolts that are there to prevent what you have described from happening.

From the INSIDE ?

ie If the hinges are mounted indoors on an inward opening door, dog-bolts would be an unnecessary addition.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. And we know it's an inward opening because...

Mr H I think you'll find they are fitted on both inward and outward opening doors.

Om outward opening doors they are there to prevent the door being lifted out if the hinges are removed.

On inward opening doors they are they to help prevent the door being forced inwards.

19. focus2008

focus2008 New Member

The same thing happened to me last year. My main door lock gave no notice that it was going faulty it just locked it self closed after my daughter came in 10pm at night, which was great considering we run a Bed & Breakfast. We got the 'Window Doctor' in the next day and he changed the lock. The problem was the locks can be 'One OFF's', so he had to pinch the lock of my back door, fit it to the front door whilst he ordered the new lock which came 24hrs later and then change them all back again! BUT to free the 'Locked' door he had to take the top window unit out in order to get to the lock. The whole thing cost me about 200quid