"locking" wooden sliding door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Graham Beer, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

Hi,

i own the following TV cabinet which has sliding doors:
    http://www.next.co.uk/g902s2#771041g90

I would like to be able to lock/unlock one side, but not sure what i can use and how. And advice or tips on a product and how to install ?

Thank you !

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

4. Phil the Paver

Do you know what I was thinking the same, all I can imagine is that there must be a plate with a hole in that is fixed on the inside of the cupboard, so that when the door is closed you push the lock which inturn pushes it's pin out into to the hole, to unlock you use the key.
    This of course will mean drilling a hole through the unit to fit the lock.

That is my thoughts on it and not actual fact.

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Attached Files:

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think that lock would only be useable with a 'holed bracket' inside, as the unit doesn't have passing sliding doors. The position of the lock would need to be set at the back end, and lock into the wall end of the drawers. The edge of the hole needed for the back end of the door would be outside the end of the door.
    You could set it to lock just inside the wall end of the drawers(cupboard side) but you also have to consider stopping upward movement to prevent the door being lifted out. A bracket there would do that.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

I'm a bit of a novice about this sort of thing. Is there a better solution ? A latch maybe ? Something that won't ruin the look of the unit but will stop young kids from getting in ! I have used strong magnets, which did ok, but doesn't feel the best solution. Thank you all.

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you could try the simple approach
    drill a 2-3mm hole from above into the door top through the cabinet top and drop in a nail or pin with a smallish head

but if you do "unlock" with the kids present just unlock with the magic keyfob/remote control at the end with one hand whilst the other hidden hand drops the pin in or removes it

antuk99 likes this.
  9. Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-POST-U...9?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item485fe9e5af which is neat and easily fitted.

Drill hole through the left side panel of your unit, the correct distance (taken from the actual lock - roughly where the lever cranks out) behind the inside surface of the door. Turn the key so's the lever marks the door, and cut a slot in the door at that point. (As long as this slot isn't too close to the door edge!)

10. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

Thanks Devil's, that looks like to be the best solution. Silly question, how does the look stay in place ? Is there a nut to tighten it to the side of the cabinet ?
    Also, how do i go about making the "slit" in the door for the latch to fit into ?

11. Phil the Paver

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Was thinking the same Phil re DA suggestion of using a cam lock
    These are often used on metal locker doors and as you say, the latch simply jams on the frame to stop the door opening outwards

Even with cutting a slot in the door, cant seem to figure how this will stop the door from sliding open

How about using this cam lock but cutting a slot in the bottom of the latch. Screw a hook into the cabinet side so it lines up with the slot cut in the latch. When the latch is turned horizontal, the slot you have cut will engage with the hook (obviously subject to accurate marking and fixing)

Graham, these locks are either fixed in place by tightening a nut which screws onto the threaded body of the lock or some have a flat metal plate that clips over the lock body, tight against the door (bit like a large circlip)

Interesting thread this one and requires some brain power !

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ahhhh....Just got it DA

Fit the lock to the side panel not the door (I know that's what you said in your post anyway)
    Clever lateral thinking and a solution to the problem, just took me a while to get it !! :p

Graham, do you have a "multi tool". Something that you can do a plunge cut with ? That would be simple, as long as you don't cut right through the door :mad:

14. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

if the lock is on the side, as it turns it will slide into the slit on the door, no ?

15. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

No i don't have a multi tool...have to google that i think !

16. Phil the Paver

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

18. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

DIYDave, that would be better. But how would i attach it to the door ?

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

[​IMG]Use appropriate length depending on door thickness