"locking" wooden sliding door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Graham Beer, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

No chance !

2. You've chust wee'd on my Bonfire Heart :eek:.

Anyways, here's one more suggestion before you bring your magnets out - see that door? Ok, now look at the very bottom-right corner. Ok? Get yer drill out and fit a 3mm bit. Place the tip of that bit on the bottom rail where the door will be sliding, but keeping the bit side tight against the bottom right corner and hold the drill at 30o.

Drill.

A hole.

About 30mm deep. But stop before it comes out the bottom of the unit.

This hole should be near impossible to see as it's virtually covered by the corner of the actual door itself - you did hold the drill at 30o, didn't you, so the drilled hole was chust under the edge of the door?

Drop your well-chosen nail in there with chust enough sticking out to stop the door from sliding open.

Use other nails - the ones on your fingertips - to remove the nail each time.

On second thoughts, use magnets.

Hey - or a wee rubber wedge shoved in there! No drillin'!

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i would avoid strong magnets near electronics
    if they are strong enough to hold they may do damage especially neodinium magnets

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

lateral thinking here

pull both drawers forward till they are flush with the face "locking" the doors but dont open the doors with kids in the room
    you could hold the top drawer forward with a removable pin at the top back acting as a stop

you could even use a popdown lock as a stop at the back much easier to disguisein use or to cover if removed

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  5. Ooooooooh - that's gooooooooood :D.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You'd have a finger trap in't top of drawer then, kids trying to get their fingers into that tempting gap.

I still think the very first suggestion would be best, with a bracket inside.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

no the drawers top and bottom will be flush with the face off the unit rather than be set back around 20mm to let the doors pass so no more a pinch hazard than now

8. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

But I want one door open and the other closed, if that makes sense.
    Devil, don't quite get the rubber in the corner?! Sorry.
    The magnets will be in the bottom corner and hifi above. They are 1mm wide strips.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, just had another look at pic, you're correct.
    Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just make a flippin' decision before this goes on to page 4 :D

Or buy another cabinet manufactured with locking doors

Think DA means like a small rubber door wedge pushed under the runners - do they make them 'wee' for a dolls house maybe

Or get rid of the stereo and put your music onto an I pad / I pod / Generic MP3 player or such like

Or get your wallet out and get someone in

Or have a beer Graham - bet uv never heard that one before eh :D

11. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

Ok, with the latch could I use adhesive to stick the "rabbit hutch" lock? No magnets and locked !

12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

NO AGHHHHHHH :)

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha and Ha !

This has gotta be a wind up now.......Please come clean and admit it .......Pleeeeeeese

Why would you want to stick on this latch - metal to wood - what glue you gonna use ?

Just to help you once again, if fitted correctly, with the latch locked you don't see the screws - if that's what your worried about

Come on Graham...... You must be able to handle a manual screwdriver surely ????

14. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

They come in manual? old school

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Wiggy
    I'm trying to help Graham

One diy'er to another

It's just that Graham doesn't have a huge amount of diy skills behind him - nothing wrong with that at all

One slip with his leccie driver and he's ruined his rabbit hutch / cabinet

Safer with a manual driver I reckon plus full PPE for added safety and security, oh and a full risk assessment before work commences, and have a first aid kit on standby - Always think safety

16. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Nothing wrong with that Dave, only bringing a bit of light humour and trying to squeeze it to 4 pages :D

17. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

What about using those sticky pads

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No worries wiggy mate, know your having a giggle same as me

This does happen on the forum every now and again - all meant well though and as you say "light humour"

Roll on page 4..............................................

19. big all

big all Screwfix Select

20. Graham...

I, uh, don't know if I can do this for much longer. Losing the will... Losing it completely.

Ok, I'll try and explain. Even tho' it's already been done so by Dave.

See your door? The slidy one? The one you don't want to be slidy? At least not all the time?

Well, shove a rubber wedge in it. Under the bottom-right corner. To stop it moving sideways. Like a doorstop.

Like a whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... :eek: