"locking" wooden sliding door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Graham Beer, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

Wiggy, so the bolt you cut to size ?

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

If you need to, yes, just go and buy it, buy a few of the options, play about with them, a great man once said : whatever you decide to do, just do something.

This got silly 3 pages ago, now its just kin crazy, do it G do it just do it.I am not normally this Patience but I want to see you do it , get it done.

3. Er, wiggy...

How does a horizontal bolt going through the left-hand side of the cabinet and into the edge of a door that slides away from that bolt actually manage to secure that door.

What am I missing?

Graham, go for that wee plastic stopper thing for totts.

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

as an aside
    because your cabinet is printed paper on board with a plastic laminate covering any sort off glue or adhesive may damage the surface far more than a few screw holes

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Come on DA, you winding me up aswell….. :confused:

6. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

7. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

DA, any links to a rubber stopper ??

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

9. That's the baby :).

(I hope it comes with full instructions.)

WIGGY, not a wind-up, honest :oops:. I'm clearly missing something really obvious. I understand that bolt to be a straight bolt that will come through the unit side, lie horizontally and go into the edge of the door. What have I missed?

wiggy likes this.
  10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

HAHAHAHAHAHA

My mistake DA, I saw it as being threaded all the way along the bar……..

In my haste to find a solution for G man.

That would work from the top or from the side at an angle and it also brings to your attention my lie earlier… '' I have done it before '' :D

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the child will have grown up and left home if this goes on much longer

Steve Richards and wiggy like this.
  12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Give the lock to the kid to fix on….

Steve Richards and Sean_ork like this.
  13. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

I've bought one of them Sean, review on Amazon got one star !!!

14. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Now that's a very dangerous question to ask graham after 5 pages of help and suggestions ;
    THOUGHTS ?

Yeah here is some;
    #*++*### ¥+****~~|\. !€€€||~. +*^%%^*. :;@^%#*. @"^%#%^. ""&@@&& OFF

Looks like the mods got there first

wiggy likes this.
  16. part of me tells me I shouldn't be typing this, 5 pages of advice on how to stop a child getting to the DVD player....anyway my thought..........
    Can you put a catch behind one of the draws that secures it in an open position (of about 10-15mm) the draw would in tun stop the sliding doors been opened and such device could be fitted on rear if cabinet a) away from little fingers to work out how to open b) where device would have no visual impact on unit ? perhaps such a solution has already been suggested, I don't know and have no intention of reading some 95 posts !

17. big all

big all Screwfix Select

suggested exactly that but he wants one door to open a fact only mentioned when i suggested that lol
    page 3 reply 45

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  18. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

To be fair DIYdave, I thought my suggestion was pretty good one. No need to be rude.
    5 pages of advice, well some of that was me trying to understand some of the advice and you guys taking the **** out of me.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Seriously though graham,

Please let the forum know what you decide on, how did the job go and, most importantly -,did it work. A photo would be nice as well

Not enough posters follow up on their original thread once the job has been done, they just take the advice and vanish

The forum can be a little like the school playground at times but mainly we are a caring bunch, really

wiggy likes this.
  20. Graham Beer

Graham Beer Member

Cheers DIYDave :)
    I'm just a basic DIYer.