Locks for steel outbuilding doors.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by MRY, May 21, 2022.

1. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

At the moment these two pairs of doors have padlocked hasp & staples, which are not very secure. I'd like to fit more secure and better looking locks, possibly but not necessarily a pair of 5 lever deadlocks top and bottom of each door, possibly some other sort of lock.

One of each pair of doors is fastened by what is effectively a vertical tower bolt top & bottom, so the other door in each pair has to lock onto the first. I can do a bit of metalwork & have a welder.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

If these are visible through a gap (top or bottom) then this could be a weak point to get a grinder to cut them.

If this is the case, then a loose-ish sleeve around the bolt will make it much harder to cut through these, if they spin.

Pics not great to help with the rest of it, sorry.

3. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

What other piuctures do you want?

I#m not sure anything will defend against an angle grinder. The doors themselves are 40mm square hollow section, covered in 1mm galvanised sheet, the hinges are steel and could be cut by an angle grinder too.

4. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

I can only suggest locking from inside and using a different exit.
    As others have said you won't be able to defend against a grinder

5. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

Cut a slot in box section and fit amortise lock

6. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

There isn't another exit. Two pairs of doors along the front, one pair of which could be locked from inside, that's it.

If someone wants to use a grinder, there's no defence. Here, they could cut the hinges, cut the sheet metal covering the doors, kick in the walls, unscrew the tin roof or whatever.

This is just to keep the thing reasonably secure, and better than a padlock with hasp & staple, 'cos all that needs is a short wrecking bar.

7. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Mm, that's what I was sort of alluding to in the first post. I could cut out for it, it would take out a lot of metal though. There're things like a "gate mate" as on Screwfix's website, but they are very dear, about £220 for 4, so no way José. I could weld some sort of housing onto the inside edge of the 40mm square hollow section and mount a mortise lock in there, and modify the bolt to pass through the SHS I suppose. It's difficult to know. I could drill through and put some gate swing eye bolts in and a bar through across the front with a padlock to hold it, but that would muck up the flat appearance I want. Something to do with lorry container locks? I don't know enough.

Is there a locksmith in the house :) ?

Edit: or someone who drives a lorry, or a van? What is this thing:

https://autoricambisanmauro.it/en/p...anna-tytan-lucchetto-blocca-porte-posteriori/

My goodness, I am getting very thirsty. This from the wonderfully named "Ningbo Wangtong Locks Co., Ltd.":

https://wangtonglocks.en.made-in-china.com/product/wBjEebaDpdcO/China-Hot-Sale-Truck-Door-Lock.html

What is it!

I must have a drink.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  8. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

You no best so crack on mate

9. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I don't know best, so that's why I'm groping around for ideas! And having a quick swally before bed and telling off.