Loft Conversion - Architect Plan vs Reality

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Chris101, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Chris101

Chris101 Member

We are in the 2nd week of our loft conversion and just had the shell of our main dormer (we are having an L Shape) go up.
    The loft company we appointed covers everything from architects, roofers, plumbers, electricians etc

The architect plan which we received some months ago shows our dimensions of our main loft dormer as follows:
    Width - 4940mm
    Length - 4365mm

When we confirmed the measurements with the loft company they said this would be more or less guaranteed size of the room.

I have just accessed the main dormer via the hatch and had a measure up and it seems these are the actual measurements -
    Width - 4500mm
    Length - 3660mm

Either I have measured incorrectly or the architect has gotten this very wrong?

So far only the shell of the dormer has gone up so there is time to change things however I do not see how they will magically be able to increase the sizes since they are using the maximum width and length of the rooms.

How should I approach this matter?

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Obviously you need to speak to the company concerned

Chris101 likes this.
  3. In exactly the same way you've approached it on here.

It might seem awkward, but this is your house and you've employed them to do this job and they gave you size info that doesn't seem to add up.

I suspect it'll be some thing like their dimensions being the external (or even internal) frame structure, so no insulation or boarding has been added (ie reduced) from these sizes. However, if your archi and the loft company told you that these dimensions were the finished internal space - which is what you clearly understood it to be - then summat's gorn wrong.

If they 'had' to change the sizes due to legitimate and/or unforeseen circumstances, then they should have told you upfront.

I presume you are paying them in instalments?

4. Chris101

Chris101 Member

Apologies, just to clarify, the structure has only gone up for the dormer. So only the wooden frame. Insulation, insulation boards and whatever else is still to go on. This is the bare minimum shell stage.

We are paying them in instalments and due to pay them the 2nd weeks instalment at the end of this week.

5. "dimensions of our main loft dormer as follows: Width - 4940mm Length - 4365mm"

What, exactly, do these dimensions refer to? Do you have the archi's drawings? What's on there?

6. There will be smallprint on the drawing saying something like,all dimensions to be checked on site.
    If it is built as big as possible then the Architect has messed up,but covered himself with the smallprint.

7. Chris101

Chris101 Member

Plan of room

Attached Files:

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Have they set out the stud walls for your ensuite and stairwell yet?

9. Chris101

Chris101 Member

not yet, just the frame for the dormer and part of the frame for the bathroom

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hmm, it's certainly not unheard of for architects to cock up, quite probably he's mismeasured somewhere, or not taken into account the widths of the floor steels or eaves cupboards, could be a number of things. The loft company will be governed by the position of the dwarf walls and stairwell area and have more than likely set out your ensuite to accommodate your 1500 shower tray, so unfortunately whatever size you're left with there's not much can be done.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Totally agree.

12. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The loft company provided the architect and now the OP is short of space by a couple of feet not millimetres. It is the oft company's problem.

The OP is way short of the space he is paying for. If it were me I would want work stopped until it was resolved more work is done the harder it is to go back. Is the design wrong or is it the construction? The latter can be altered. If the design then maybe a meaningful price reduction to reflect the reduced space.

13. Chris101

Chris101 Member

According to the loft company it would never have been possible to get the dimensions as per plan since they have done many loft conversions in the area and all of them have had a length of around 3.6m.

The loft company has had to seek clarity from the architect and the builders did not turn up today so things could be looked into however have said they will return back tomorrow.

14. Chris101

Chris101 Member

I only went into the loft as I was asked to go up and measure up by the loft company lol
    Architect has got it massively wrong, no criticism from the guys on the job so far :)

15. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

So did they know it was wrong before they started?