Loft hatch

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by awspark, May 23, 2020.

1. awspark

awspark New Member

Hi all.

I hope I have posted this in the right place.

It has been very windy the last day or so, and the loft hatch is making a hell of a noise banging and it has woke my daughter up a few times during the night. I definitely know is that as when I get up in the morning it's half on properly and half not.

Im just wanting help/advise to try and sort this out myself with a quick DIY job!

I don't know how many times of hatches there is but it's just a basic one that pushes up (like a thin bit of fabric/cardboard).

Thanks.

2. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

Cheap fix, stick a bit of weight on top to hold it down, or fit a lockable one...

awspark likes this.
  3. awspark

awspark New Member

Thank you very much.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If it’s really thin and lightweight sounds like either plywood or hardboard

Can’t surely be fabric or cardboard can it ? :eek: But the above materials come at around 4-5mm thickness and to use for a loft hatch sounds a real bodge job

If it’s a simple hatch that just pushes up into loft, then ideally use this as a template (if it fits well) and cut a new one using 18mm ply or MDF
    or chipboard

Much heavier and won’t bang about waking up your daughter

awspark likes this.
  5. awspark

awspark New Member

Okay thank you, will give this a try!

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

With your type of loft hatch, it just drops into place so relies on the weight of the panel and gravity to keep it in place

You’ve got airflow in the loft which is a good thing and correct - it keeps the timbers up there dry and ventilated

But as the current hatch is super lightweight, it’s this draught that’s causing it to bang in the frame

A thicker / heavier panel will cure this im sure - good luck

awspark likes this.
  7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'd incorporate insulation as well. You'll be losing so much heat through that thin hatch.

awspark and DIYDave. like this.
  8. awspark

awspark New Member

I think I'm going to get a 18mm thick MDF board as was suggested above, could I just stick some insulation ontop of the board with strong glue?

Also, thank you for your suggestion!

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It depends what insulation you use - something rigid would obviously be easier to attach and use. Then, depending on what you use you need an adhesive that is compatible with or, more importantly, doesn't attack the material. Double sided tape would probably be alright for most products.

You can get pre- insulated ready made hatches if you want to go the whole distance. Our hosts sell a few.

awspark likes this.
  10. awspark

awspark New Member

Hi mate.

I've been all over the place today trying to find some MDF boards, every Wickes and B&q near me, and nowhere has it in stock, the biggest thickness they have is 12mm and I know you said 18mm, would it be much of a different, obviously I know its 6mm but in regards to weight..

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Depending on the hatch opening size (which can be altered if needed) you would be better off to buy a Manthorpe attic trap for roughly forty quid, they are a hinged dropdown type and come with insulation prefitted to the back. Saves all the faff, and by the time you buy a sheet of MDF, a 4' sheet of kingspan insulation, glue or double sided tape and paint it all to match you will be closer to double the cost of a new trap.

sparky steve likes this.