loft insulation and flooring

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nakedterry, Jan 17, 2006.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

I have read the advice on the forums but don't see an answer to this one....

Have fibreglass insulation to tops of joists in loft (only 5" though) and I need to add more. I want to use the space blanket stuff with the foil reflector.
    It says I have to lay this at right angles to the current insulation.

If I do this it will cover the joists. How then do I put down some flooring to use the place for storage?
    Should I raise the height of the joists with timber and use more fibreglass instead or just nail the boards down over the blankets?

2. stuff

stuff New Member

Cannot say if this is "correcct" way of doing it, but...

I have 4" joists with dpm + 4" of insulation. On top of this I put loft boarding with venting gaps. Then another 6" of insulation on top of the boards. If I want to walk on the boards, I flick back the insulation so it does not get compacted.
    Suitable for occasional storage + current regs.

3. mudhut

mudhut New Member

or you could just counter batten with, say, 2x2 and then lay boards over the top. i recon the 2x2 should be strong enough over 450mm spacings and the chipboard will help strengthen. this gives you 50mm gap at 90 degs to joists, enough for yer blanket stuff?

4. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

STUFF - why do you have DPM in your loft and then insulation on top of that? This is the first I have heard of anyone expecting moisture transfer from the rooms below. Just curious.
    Is your DPM the foil stuff? If so, doesn't that need to be on top of the insulation, not under it?

MUDHUT - sounds like a plan. However the blanket comes in 150mm and 210mm depth. If I counter baton and lay the blanket between, would I need a gap between it and the boards over it?