Loft Power for arial booster

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by StuartC, Apr 17, 2011.

1. StuartC

StuartC New Member

HI All,

I need to fit a airal booster in the loft, i have seen a kit in ADSA of all places that comes with all leads etc, i was expecting it to run on a battery, but its mains.

My question is therefore how do i put a socket for this in the loft.

House is 8 years old,

Wires i have found in loft so far are for lights and 2 bathroom extractor fans.  Can i take a feed of one of these?

I don't want to power anything else.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Staurt

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hello Stuart,

Screwfix do a Labgear kit that does not require power in the loft. Its called remote power. See item 30624. This utilises a small transformer that is mounted next to a socket by a TV. The coax aerial cable from the TV is then looped in to the transformer and out again to the aerial coax socket. So one of the TVs aerial coax is the power supply to the splitter amplifier in the loft, hence remote supply. This may be a better option for you. The connections on the splitter and the transformer are F type so you would need a few F plugs to be able to connect the coax cables on to the equipment. Its not too difficult to do. See item 17061 twist on F plugs. You might also find a coax to F plug converter useful for the leads supplied with the TV, see item 73805.

Other than that if you want to use the kit you have seen in the supermarket then you will have to supply power in the loft and this would be more difficult. Unfortunately the lighting circuits in the loft cannot be used for a socket. If you can determine whether there is a switched FCU to either of the fans and these are on a power circuit then you could add a socket to the load side of it quite safely as the loft amplifier will draw hardly any current and it would be perfectly safe. You should not do this if the FCU is on a lighting circuit.

There is one acceptable solution to installing power off the lighting circuit. Spur off the lighting circuit in to an FCU fitted with a 3A fuse. Cut the plug off the flex supplying the amplifier and install on to FCU.

Hope this helps.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If, as you say, you need to fit a 'booster', then that means you don't have an amplifier in the loft or on your aerial.
    In that case, a simple booster plugged in near your first telly would do it.

If you have an amplifier then you will need a power supply(as per unphased's post).

A booster does not send power to an amplifier. A booster has an amplifier in it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

You certainly can, bung a socket on the lighting circuit (mark it -6Amp only or similar)  What's the worst that can happen ?  Should someone ignore the 6A warning; carry the tumble dryer into the loft and plug into your socket then the mcb will trip.,.,. Pftttt

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Thats fine, LD. Putting the tumble drier in the loft is a nice little project in itself. Enlarge the loft hatch, install sturdy loft steps, make a platform to stand the drier on, install a vent kit through the roof. Only downside here is the need for a double socket else no room for the transformer. Bummer. :(

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

5 gang trailing lead! 

7. acca

acca Guest

Just connect it with a 5A socket and plug top.Those booster use next to no amps to operate and with the small socket/plug  you will be unable to plug a 13A standard plug into it,do it all the time...

8. glnta

glnta Member

I'll convert your attic into a living area, no bathroom. I'll run a new radial circuit into the loft, into one off the eaves cupboards and fit a new single switched socket.
    You can then plug your amp into that. It's neat and tidy and out of sight. Cost = £38,500.00 SORTED :)

9. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Ariel in the large packs already comes with a detergent ball..nay booster if you must. Strewth.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes JP, he means aerial, the spelling and grammar on here is abysmal at times isn't it!

11. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Concur Sen..I blame it on the schooling system my self m8.

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

[/QUOTE]what does pftttt stand for

here is my set up
    i have a booster in the upstairs bedroom below the ariel in the loft distributing to up stairs and passes the signal 20ft down stairs
    it goes through a freeview duel recorder box then 2 video recorders the  signal then goes through another distribution amp to all tv in the  house 
    there is a further 20ft to the kitchen tv with a further single booster to the shed another 30 foot away
    this allows me to watch any recording on any telly

13. acca

acca Guest

You will be telling us u had a bag of nuts and a satsuma for christmas next ! LOL

14. rbco1

rbco1 New Member

take a supply off the lighting circuit and fuse down with an fcu before the socket and that way your sure of them not getting too much power in the plug

15. J.P.

J.P. New Member

16. twats

twats New Member

Message was edited by: Administrator

17. Springwater

Springwater New Member

hehehehehehe!!!

18. If it was me i would take it of the shower supply if you have one. plenty of juice there for it

19. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Good old LD..;)