loft problem

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Larry123, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Larry123

Larry123 Member

hi ppl
    in the summer i insulated my loft and boarded it over with chipboard flooring through the middle prior to that it has never had this problem.
    about a week ago i got something down out the loft and noticed patches of water on the floorboards the felt had droplets of water coming off it as if condensation is forming up there. so thinking it was due to lack of air circulation from the insulation, i fitted small round vents in the soffets either side in the hope it would solve it but have had no luck! could anybody be kind enough to shine some light on the problem as my ideas are running thin? thanks in advance larry

2. Ĥ

Ĥ New Member

If you blocked the eaves with insulation, then you will restrict the airflow and cause condensation, despite the fitted vents. Could this be the problem?

3. Nickam

Nickam New Member

A lot of people are having this problem at the moment and as the last poster said is usually caused by taking the insulation up to the eaves and tucking it down into the box created by the eaves. I have been up into our loft today to put the Christmas decorations back and there is no condensation at all on the underside of the felt. Our loft also has insulation between the ceiling ties with chipboard over. Our insulation stops at the external wall and when in the loft you can see a lot of daylight within the eaves so we are getting a lot of ventilation. If you have fitted enough vents and have an air path through the loft then you shouldn't get a problem although with the weather at present being so cold it's more likely to happen. If you had some insulation before you boarded it maybe you just ddn't notice the water settling on the insulation?
    Cheers,
    Nick
    http://buildingplans.web.officelive.com

4. Larry123

Larry123 Member

thankyou for replying.
    all the insulation is away from the eves and i put 5 70mm round vents either end so im guessing ventalation is adequate

5. Nickam

Nickam New Member

It must be then that there is a path for moisture laden air to get into the loft from below. Is there a vapour barrier below the loft insulation? Thing is that usually the lack of a vapour barrier below the insulation means that you get what's called interstitial condensation (that's within the insulation itself when the warm, moisture laden air reaches the cold side of the insulation.) Does the insulation itself feel damp?

6. vote CONSERVATIVE

vote CONSERVATIVE New Member

leaking roof.

7. vote CONSERVATIVE

Snow getting under the tiles.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Useless **** posting stupid guesses.^

9. vote CONSERVATIVE

All strong possible causes my dear little WIS friend

10. vote CONSERVATIVE

Sorry 'WIS' = 'IWS'

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Ah so that's the game you're playing, thankfully not every body is as stupid as you.

12. Larry123

Larry123 Member

no the roof aint leakin its all over it not patches and it was happening when it wasnt snowing.