loft purlins droopy

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Edward Prendergast, Jun 7, 2021.

?

loft purlins droopy

1. any

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. any

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Edward Prendergast

Edward Prendergast New Member

helo im hoping for a bit of advice my 1960s 3 bed semi has 6x2 purlins in the loft ,about 5 years ago had a new roof and it looks like the purlins ar drooping a bit just wondering how i could ad support or maybe just screw and glue sandwich additional 6x2 onto them ,there is a supporting wall going into the loft the 2 longest lengths are about 14ft

Attached Files:

2. Peter Burrows

Peter Burrows Member

Did you get structural calcs?

3. Edward Prendergast

no , the purlins has always looked a bit flimsy 6x2 don't seem very good ,thats why i was thinking of adding another 3x2 glue and screw them together and ad more supports for the wall

4. Edward Prendergast

Attached Files:

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Does the roof have the original tiles on or have they been changed for concrete, heavier tiles?

6. penkenna

penkenna New Member

Don't see how you can sandwich them as they overlap in the middle. Maybe strut and collar them from a centre structural wall if there is one, or a steel/doubled joist sitting on the wall plates above the joists and strut vertically from below as existing but more substantial.

Alternatively a new purlin higher up the rafters.

All the above must be properly specced by an SE.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  7. penkenna

penkenna New Member

Just realised a pretty much identical post has been opened by the OP in builders talk, not sure what the forum rules are on this but could create confusion/duplication.