Log cabin slab base

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AdamA91, Jun 28, 2021.

1. AdamA91

AdamA91 New Member

Hi All,

My first post here, hopefully this is in the right forum for the help I need.

I have a 5m x 4m log cabin waiting to be built.
    We have a raised patio area at the top of the garden where it will go. We lifted all the old concrete slabs up a while ago and underneath is all compacted hardcore. We then had someone in to relay the slabs for the cabin base and some new slabs that will be on show at the front. We have now noticed that the base isn't level from front to back, It slopes down to the front so the front is maybe 20 or 30mm lower. What would be the best suggestion to overcome this?

Was thinking to use lengths of timber tapered down toward the back to angle it up at the front? But was unsure if this would be a good long lasting solution as I know that this is where all the weight of the cabin sits around the edges.

Really don't want to have to redo the ground work if it can be avoided.

Thanks

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Height might be an issue here as the cabin should be under 2.5m to avoid planning issues, but...would recommend to build a timber sub frame to put the cabin on
    - aids ventilation, water is your enemy.
    - a concrete base that is larger than the cabin can give you splash back which hastens rot
    - allows to get everything 100% flat and square
    - don't forget that with an interlocking log cabin, most of the weight is on the perimeter

3. AndBlue

AndBlue Member

If it is just flat, rather than level, you may get away with it, its only about one inch over 13 feet! that could be your measurements, the build is slightly off or a combination of the two. If you are going to lay a base plate then you could tweak it then It was probably laid like that for drainage. Having built a few timber buildings, some folks seem to think that would be well within tolerance.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Not me, you'll want it flat. Dead flat.