Log cabins

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Col36, Nov 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Col36

Col36 New Member

Considering buying a log cabin vs shed.

Does anyone know why flexible storm braces are required with log cabin when for a shed it has rigid framework?

In the future I'd like to fit shelving and potentially line with plasterboard.

Is this more problematic in a log cabin?

2. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Member

Not quite answering your question but ...

A log cabin will grow and shrink vertically with seasonal changes in humidity. This summer I got called in to sort out shelving that had been put in a new one a couple of years ago. The shelves had been fixed into the logs at base and top but the seasonal 'growth' was several centimetres which ripped the fixing out of the shelves and snapped one set of uprights (which were engineered wood). Solution was to rebuild shelves so all the weight was resting on the floor and retain back to the wall using 'slip brackets' that allow free movement vertically. Put a couple of pencil marks on to record level when installed (in early August). Spoke to the customer a few days ago and she told me the marks are now about 3 cm apart.

Don't know whether that much movement is normal but it certainly needs to be taken into account.

The moral is that you should not fix anything vertically that crosses logs unless it is free to move.