Long Wood Drill Bits

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Combo, May 31, 2010.

1. Combo

Combo Member

Need to drill 6 mm and 8 mm holes through timber up to 150 mm thick, (for coach bolts). Can't seem to find anything from our hosts here that will do that for me. Can find long, fat drill bits but not long thin ones. Must be looking in the wrong place. Anyone help?

2. mongo and fudd ltd

mongo and fudd ltd New Member

use bigger bolts

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

forgot to say with an extension peiece as nessisery

5. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

I hesitate to say this for fear of being shot down as a bodger but an sds drill bit will drill holes in wood easily, especially this small size.

I cant find 6mm ones, but the Bosch SDS Plus Drill Bit B8 8 x 210mm will make your 8mm holes.

Obviously it wont be as tidy as a flat or auger bit assuming that you can find them this small.

Like the other chap said, consider upgrading the bolt size to say 10mm........

Just a thought.....

6. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

I hesitate to say this for fear of being shot down as a bodger but an sds drill bit will drill holes in wood easily, especially this small size.

I cant find 6mm ones, but the Bosch SDS Plus Drill Bit B8 8 x 210mm will make your 8mm holes.

Obviously it wont be as tidy as a flat or auger bit assuming that you can find them this small.

Like the other chap said, consider upgrading the bolt size to say 10mm........

Just a thought.....

7. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

shoot, there's an echo in here.......

8. Combo

Combo Member

Use flat/spade bits

Great. I can see a 6.5 mm bit, and I suppose the 10mm one would do for my 8mm bolts. But it doesn't say how long the bits are. They look quite long, but does anyone know how long?

I found the extension piece, but it's no good, as it's only for bits over 16mm presumably due to the larger diameter of the connecting part.

9. Combo

Combo Member

size to say 10mm........

I need 6mm and 8mm bolts to get through the holes in the hinges. 10mm bolts would be too thick.

I suppose I could chop away some of the wood at the rear so the bolts (and drill holes!) don't need to be as long.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get your local engineering shop to weld some rod on to the blunt end.

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

go to a certain station that sells tools and type in 59268 complete set with 300mm extension bar
    or

big all

[Edited by: admin]

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

13. leakingcash

leakingcash New Member

Hi Combo,

I needed the same for building my shed, long 6mm coach bolts for the hinges.

www.toolstation.com do 6mm & 8mm auger bits 210mm long and extra long flat bits (400mm). They aren't mega quality but only about 2 quid each.

A flat bit extension would probably not work 'cos the end that your bit fixes to may be too wide.

Cheers!

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

^^^^^There you go.

I once needed a longer 5mm bit. I cut off the tungsten tip from a masonry bit(which was about 170mm long shaft), and shaped a drill cutting end to what was left. Lovely.

I drill so far with a proper drill bit, then finish off with the improvised bit(bit softer metal, and not so clever at clearing wood back up the hole).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. mongo and fudd ltd

mongo and fudd ltd New Member

i never had to drill a 6 mm hole 8 feet long so i can understand why no one sells them

16. ggranpa

ggranpa New Member

here you go..

[Edited by: admin]

17. clarky74

clarky74 New Member

You can actually get long twist drill bits. I think I even have a 200mm long 6 & 8 in the van, dont remember where I got them though.

18. jasonb

jasonb New Member

You can buy 300mm long flat bits, I have several in the smaller sizes for when the extension is too large a diameter.

I also have a set of beam drills these are 300mm long bradpoint drills from 1/8" - 5/8" available from a land with many ruts and the other place where all the gear goes through the Til, the latter also do 460mm long 8mm dia auger bits.

Other sources are extra long twist drills and aircraft extension drills which are actually just a long twist drill with a lot of smooth shank, get these from a good engineering supply like J&L

Jason