Looking for employer

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tomcully, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Tomcully

Tomcully New Member

I am a apprentice plumber/gas engineer already completed one and half years at college. Working with my step dad but don't get on . I am hard working please , can anyone give me a chance as I don't want to give up as I love the work I do , but can no longer work with family .

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Not in a postion to help you however area where you live, do you have transport and if so areas that you could travel too, do you have own tools, do you have a drug habit and finaly are you prepared to leave your phone alone and listen to who ever takes you on might help you Tom.

3. Befair

Befair Member

Excellent advice. I have spent years working with students and helping them find work.
    Would add, make sure you are punctual, polite and smart.
    It seems a sensible move both personally and career wise. Have you talked about it with your stepfather ? Perhaps he could help. Good luck.

kiaora likes this.
  4. Befair

Befair Member

I hope this has just been a temporary problem. However, Tom just pumps has politely pointed out your area etc are needed for people to be able to help. If you live in Cardiff a vacancy in Carlisle is no use.

5. Tomcully

Tomcully New Member

Hi yes sorry, I live in South Yorkshire, so Sheffield, Rotherham. Doncaster. I am a field Engineer at present so travel all over as far as Newcastle. Thank you Tom.

6. Befair

Befair Member

You appear well placed to find another employer. Any new employer is likely to ask for a reference so you will need, if possible, to be open with your stepdad.
    I suggest having a main reason as looking for wider experience and avoid talking about any relationship difficulties.
    Have you thought about directly asking plumbing firms that might appeal to you if the have any vacancies ?
    Apprenticeships are high in the political agenda.
    Best Wishes

7. Befair

Befair Member

Did a Google for apprenticeship plumber South Yorkshire and quite a few appearef, not sure of the quality. Perhaps you need to start searching and asking possible employers.

8. JackDuncan

JackDuncan New Member

don't torment yourself, quit and find a temporary job while you study

9. JackDuncan

JackDuncan New Member

Dude, I'm sure that you will succeed because I see how much you love your job and how you want to do this business, and this is very cool!