Looking for Joiner's opinion on a job

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by D Hamilton, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

It's undoubtedly sloppy, but not criminal.

He should be able to get the curve to match - at least if it is a 'proper' circular curve and not a weird shape peculiar to that unit (that would be a 'mare, I suspect.)

And when he's cut the curve - using a router for a perfectly neat, non-chipped finish - the end where it meets the straight side needs to be recessed in the depth of the laminate strip so the strip meets at the same level. And a coloured adhesive would probably make sense too.

But I'm not a kitchen fitter...

kitfit1 likes this.
  2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I am though, and your right. When you do a curve in laminate, the finish goes to a reccess so as to get a an easy perfect match.
    OP.....................that entire job in your pics is a complete bodge job done by someone who in my opinion probably wasn't even a joiner. One thing for certain though, he defo was not a proper kitchen fitter.

You need to talk to him and tell him the job is rubbish and your not paying for it. You also need to tell him you want him to pay for a new worktop. Because the curves are as bad as they are, the only way to get them correct is with a new piece of worktop............he's taken too much off them.
    Typical of someone that has used the doors as a template, but not allowed for the overhang on the worktop.

As for the square ends and the joins in the edging...............lol. Get ya money back a new piece of top and find someone that knows what they are doing.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    longboat and Astramax like this.
  3. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Was there a professional fitting offered or even advised?

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

IMG_20180726_184544-759x1012.jpg IMG_20180726_184544-759x1012-1.jpg
    Are you sure the dog didn't do it?
    He sure looks guilty.

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

longboat and Astramax like this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The pooch is clearly ashamed that a member of his lineage would class that as acceptable.

Sparkielev likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The nearest this guy got to being a joiner was he did 6 weeks training at Dewhursts.

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No way, i'd say he got thrown off the course after day 4 :D Certainly didn't get through ALL six weeks :D

Astramax likes this.
  10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

According to the official 'trade competence' breakdown, the descending order of hierarchy is thus:
    Electo/mechanical engineer.
    Electrical engineer.
    Mechanical engineer.
    Electrician. [They think they are at the top but all they really do is argue about a 200 an odd page book].
    Heating engineers. They've paid the price.
    Plumbers. Plumbum.
    Joiners.
    Kitchen fitters.
    Bathroom fitters.
    Bricklayers.
    Plasterers. (Shouldn't really be included because it clearly belongs in the pansy artists catagory).
    Handyman.
    Cat flap exiter.

Now, those at the top can accomplish the trades below them with ease, consequently as is the rule, those on a lower tier will fail without exception if they chance anything that's above their station, that's how it works.

So, Hamilton, you may well have unexpectantly hired a 'jot'.
    No wonder the dog doesn't look happy.

facilities and kitfit1 like this.
  11. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

OK Longboat, once, just for old times sake.

[​IMG]

longboat likes this.
  12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

:eek: Good god.............................at least i is half way down the list. By the way..............my cat's cat flap don't look anywhere near as clean as that one. Do your's go through some sort of washing process before exiting and re-entry lol :D

longboat likes this.
  13. D Hamilton

D Hamilton New Member

14. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Yes it is a **** job but how much did the op pay?

15. facilities

facilities Guest

16. D Hamilton

D Hamilton New Member

It's a b&q kitchen and they advised that they no longer offer a fitting service so got this guy.

17. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Bad luck then mate.

18. D Hamilton

D Hamilton New Member

Yep

19. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

Did B&Q recommend him?
    Looks to me, he didn't have a clue what he was doing.
    How is the general fit of the kitchen? Or did he just do tops?

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Easy enough if the correct radius jigs are available, pigs ear if not, as in this case. Edging is pants.

kitfit1 likes this.