Looking to buy ma wee boy...

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Satan's Counsel, Oct 24, 2013.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I think texting is the biggie with the kids and most deals give millions of texts these days if not unlimited, I get 5000 per month and use about 7, :(

2. He ain't going to be doing much of that either...

It'll be an 'emergency use' phone ("Dad! - come and pick me up...") only, and the surfin' features will be confined to home wifi use. He can do all his 'faceache' bar locks at home.

I just refuse to go the 'contract' route. He knows that I utterly, utterly despise the sight of a group of kids walking along staring at and thumbing their phones. Just who's trying to kid on they have a social 'life' there..?

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you know best Mr Devs, but if I was a skool kid again, I'd like to look and act like all the other kids do, anyone who does't are picked on and thought to be wierd,:eek:,

4. You've no idea how depressing I find that last comment... :(

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

don't shoot the messenger thats how it is, :(

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

nah it's not like that at all, everyone is an individual and schools are one of the places where a persons individuality is defined, not refined into a clone of the clique

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the whole point of going to skool is to be educated to think,act and eat all in the same way, thats why kids in Engerland wear uniforms,(the clue's in the word uniform) :rolleyes:

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

Tom, you've totally misunderstood why schools have a uniform

schools provide an education, not indoctrination

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Its possible that I took being told to wear a uniform,hair cut in a short back and sides,black shoes, black gym shorts with white gym shirt and all the other non-individual ways to dress,and ways to act,eat and behave as indoctrination plus the fact that we were caned if we did't comply, So its little wonder that i left skool with poor reading and writing skills as i seem to have misunderstood most of the lessons, ah well,:oops:

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

how many decades ago did you leave school Tom ?

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

left in 1968, then entered the university of life,:D

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

things really aren't as you think they are Tom, and I doubt any parent would agree with your assessment of the purpose of education, it may well be like that in North Korea and perhaps would be if that horrid Gove chap had his way.

14. A conversation I did genuinely have with a pupil in my tutor group more than a goodly decade ago; "Sir, don't you think we should be allowed to express our individual personalities by being allowed to wear our own choice of clothes?"

To which I replied something like 'I don't think the clothes you wear necessarily expresses your true personality - that's done directly through you as a person. Do you need clothes to express your personality? Anyone can buy clothes to present an image, but is that really them or who they'd like to pretend to be? You wear a uniform for a couple of reasons - to show your commitment to this school and your fellow pupils, and also to stop better-off kids basically showing-off'

To which I received the reply "F'off you t*"

Actually, I didn't. She said "Oh! I never thought of that."

(One of the few days I remember...)