Looking to get into the trades

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Joseph Bayford, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Joseph Bayford

Joseph Bayford New Member

Hi, I'm 20 years old and was at uni but knew the course wasn't for me, I realised what I wanted to do was get into the trades. I did a bit of labouring work over a couple of summers and now am looking at getting on an apprenticeship for carpentry but they're mostly aimed at 16 year olds and I was wondering if there was any other way into the profession rather than attending college as a mature student. I would like to seek employment but as I'm new to the profession I don't possess many skills. Any advice would be a massive help, thanks

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I started in college when I was 19 after dropping out of university same as you, wasn't for me. Two and a half days a week for two years to get NVQ level 1, then got a full time job on site, then one evening a week for one year got me my level 2 at 22/23, then I did my level 3 age 23/24, I'm now 32. So you're not a mature student mate, young in fact, there were 40 year old blokes on my courses that had never done the paperwork side when they started out. I think it's actually better to start a bit later than 16, as you do a hell of a lot of growing up from 16 to 20, you enter the adult world and have to learn to swim rather than sink.

DIY womble likes this.
  3. Joseph Bayford

Joseph Bayford New Member

Thanks that’s actually really encouraging to hear, I guess that’s the best way to get started, I was just hesitant as I thought I’d be an odd one out. Nice to hear I should be in good stead to get myself stuck in now, thanks again

4. handycrowd

handycrowd New Member

I agree, solid advice. And jeeze if 20 is mature, I'm a bloomin' dinosaur lol!

20 is a great age to start, you've finished all that growing malarky and you're about as strong as you'll ever be. Mentally you're way ahead of the 16 year olds, so go for it, there will always be plenty of work. I'm 50 and never struggled for work ever. Like I always say: There are always new houses to build and then all they do is get older, work whichever way you look at it...
    Good luck :)

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I would advocate looking at a wood machining course.

You may have to pay for it but its a really good way into the industry.

I did Carpentry and Joinery and then returned to college as an older student to do Wood Machining.

Everyone else was much younger than me.

With a Wood Machining ticket you will walk into any joiners shop or shopfitting firm albeit probably on "improvers" money.

Once you are in then you are earning and learning.

Some may take you on when you have only just started for basic work.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's very daunting for a while as there's an enormous amount of words, names and measurements you will have to learn in order to progress, and that's without developing hand skills to use tools, and acquiring money in order to buy said tools. It's harder today in my opinion for your/my generation to become a proper all round skilled carpenter not least the gargantuan expenditure on tools you have to own just to get by. Anyways, we've got two eyes, two ears, and one mouth. Moral is listen and watch twice as much as you talk. Good luck.

7. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Whereabouts are you OP?