Loop at end of CH curcuit - Heatline Solaris 24PC/30PC

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cornish Crofter, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

I would be grateful for some help.

Most of you will know that I am NOT a boiler fitter, I don't pretend to be one, however I do change the odd rad and do some minor plumbing associated with other work.

I am installing a wet room and part of the job has involved replacing the old wooden floor (rotted out) with a new concrete floor.

Hence, I have had to cut the plumbing for both the rad and the hot water back to the door of the room. Today I set about (among other things) plumbing in the new towel rail that has replaced the radiator.

When I removed the old plumbing I noticed that the flow and return for the radiator were connected via a 15mm pipe. It was all in Hep 2 O. This had the effect of forming a loop. The CH system has been pretty badly installed/installed on the cheap and I assumed that this loop at the end of the circuit was a cheap way around the need for a bypass valve when the boiler was installed.

Recently they have had the boiler replaced. I know the fitter who fitted it so I gave him a call and asked him whether or not the loop at the end of the run should be kept. He told me to keep it. So I plumbed a new one in pretty much the same way as the old one was.

Having said that I also looked at the installation instructions for the boiler and they call for a bypass valve.

Now, I quite frankly don't know whether or not there is a bypass valve fitted. The fitter should have fitted it, but he may have omitted it knowing that there was a loop at the end of the system.

Personally my position is that it's not my place to make the call.

However, the new towel rail isn't getting as hot as it should IMO, and I'm wondering if the loop is bypassing it too too much. The valves are on full. The temp on the towel rail doesn't seem that different to the pipes.

What should I do? My instinct is to point out the quandry to the customer.

I should also say that during the time that room was isolated, I connected the flow and return together to temporarily re instate the loop.

Thanks

2. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

I would just re-instate it as it was !!
    if you have to put in a bypass part L insists that it must be the automatic type (opens only when required) and NOT just a valve or radiator for that matter.
    So easiest way is leave well alone

3. Cornish Crofter

Thanks MH

That was my feeling as well. I have basically re instated what was there in copper as opposed to Hep 2o. The 15mm pipe between the tails is as it was but the tails are shorter as the copper pipe will be below screed level (completely covered etc with DPC underneath and Denso tape above).

The towel rail was getting warm when I left.

4. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

well done m8 problem solved

5. Cornish Crofter

Not quite I'm afraid.

The towel rail at the end of the circuit with the loop underneath is not getting at all hot.

The following solutions have been suggested.

1) Disconnect the loop altogether
    2) insert a gate valve in the loop and adjust to give some flow when the towel rail is switched off. When adjusted correctly remove the wheel.
    3) As the towel rail has no TRV, simply have this as the 'loop' at the end of the circuit.

Thinking on these....

1) doesn't sound safe IMO.

2) would mean moving the loop to the room next door as there is still a wooden floor there. I can't put a gate valve in a screed!

3) One assumes I would have to suitably adjust then disable the valves from being adjsustable without a tool. At the moment they can be adjusted by hand.

Any further thoughts would be great please.

All the bypass valves I find need 22mm pipe, and, one assumes would need to be fitted near the boiler. It would be far easier to fit something near the towel rail.

EDIT I have found 15mm bypass valves. Could these be fitted near the towel rail?

Apparently the client has always had this problem. I'm not surprised with the old loop in there. It does seem to be robbing the towel rail of heat.

Thanks