Loose bricks rear extension

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by g-graeme, Nov 10, 2021.

1. g-graeme

g-graeme New Member

Hi,

I noticed loose bricks on the side and corner of the extension of house, right beneath the harling. House is timber kit extension built around 10-14 years ago, so I believe the brick work is supporting the facade.

I’ve had a structural engineer. I then instructed and paid for a private survey to be completed in person (non invasive, simply looking) I walked him round the internal cracks round the internal house, these cracks are mostly where the old house meets the new, and he also believes it is settlement that has only just been noticed now, and recommended a drain survey -which is completed now and drains are fine.

I have noticed in the past 3-4 months the internal wall (kitchen worktop) adjacent to the loose bricks outside has dropped about 3-4mm.

I have been advised by both structural engineers to caulk the internal cracks, pack and re-point the brick work outside. Has anyone seen this before, any suggestions or views? I feel a bit in no man’s land, but could be over thinking it.

2 pictures, 3 months ish apart

any help appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I can't view the pdf

3. g-graeme

g-graeme New Member

Sorry, here you go. This is the side section looking into the side of the house, to the right is the garden and the corner of the end of the house.

Attached Files: