Loose Plasterboard

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by fred812, May 26, 2021.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

While removing wallpaper I noticed a small amount of movement (in and out) in the plasterboard in one area. Anything I can do to firm it up?
    Thanks for any help.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Big area? Coming away from the wall?

Drill holes and squirt adhesive in behind?

3. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

No its a small area as it goes into an internal corner.
    Same solution though?
    Is it necessary to brace it to avoid causing it to come away more?

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

what sort of wall is it? If stud, then locate them and drive in some drywall screws. If brick/dot and dab, then use method advised by koolpc. Get the spray foam adhesive, drill in a couple of holes, squirt away, leave it to set, remove excess, fill & paint

5. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

We're new to the house but pretty sure its dot and dab.
    Ok, thanks I take your advice on the spray foam adhesive.
    Will I need to do anything to hold the plasterboard in place?
    Thanks for the replies.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Mastic nozzle on a £10 B&Q metal gun for control and some expanding foam. Use the foam for sticking plasterboard and don't expand much. This is me on job. Don't loads of times

[​IMG]

7. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Great pic of how to do it.
    Thanks.

Wayners likes this.
  8. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

I've just realised nobody has answered whether I need to brace to the plasterboard somehow to stop it bulging?

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Depends how much foam you've injected. Doesn't hurt to strut it for half hour just in case.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Will they bulge push back? Often not as plasterboard don't bend or give much so you may need to cut out in which case buy a small bag of plasterboard adhesive from B&Q. Makegood brand has small bags they sell. Is that what you wanted to know?

If board does move (the bulge) a 75mm screw through some wood to act as a washer. Use to push board back to correct positioning before injecting foam. When dry (3 hours) remove screw and wood and fill holes.

I used 10mm drill in picture for all those holes