Loose Rawl behind tile

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Si_Gee7, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Si_Gee7

Si_Gee7 New Member

Hi all, fittings a shower screen today, when attempting to fix the T bracket, the screw is spinning in the plug. Issue is I can't get the screw out as it just spins, the Rawl is behind the tile and the hole has to be in this position. A small bracket is also on the screw making access to the hole around the screw slightly impeded.
    Behind the tile is tile backer board on breeze.

Any suggestions how to get the screw out would be potentially lifesaving!

2. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

Normally this would be a case of placing a lever behind the screw head and apply force to lever it out of the hole whilst unwinding the screw at the same time. The pulling force will jamb the rawlplug and stop it spinning whilst you undo the screw.
    If that doesn’t work, I suppose a last resort would be to apply direct heat to the screw head with a blow torch. (Or a soldering iron tip held against the screw head for a minute or two)
    When the screw gets hot enough, the plastic rawlplug will partially melt enough to pull the screw straight out (with a pair of pliers!) Apply the flame upwards to the side of the screw to avoid heating the aluminium profile and the tile behind, to avoid tarnishing the profile or cracking the tile.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Tilt likes this.
  3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Not sure if it's possible but can you pull the screw out with pliers, then redrill a slightly larger/deeper hole with a new plug?

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Get a claw hammer and block of wood. Use teh block to protect the tile, hook the claw under teh screw head and pivot the hammer on the block. Use enogh force to hold it tight against the back of the tile. Then with a screwdriver, manual or slow electric, start to undo the screw and it will come out - slowly.

Si_Gee7 likes this.
  5. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Pull it back until tight using the above suggested methods, then unscrew. If that doesn’t do it then push it back in and pop some glue. (Foam ideally for speed, but no more nails or whatever. Pull the plug into the adhesive. Leave to set. Unscrew. Plug is clearly no good anyway so use a drill of the same size. 6mm for most red plugs. Drill through the plug and start again with a new one.

6. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I would also make sure you use an expanding plug and not one that just spreads the legs. FIscher Duopower are ideal, they pulll back on teh surface, expand in various directions and will normally grip in most problem situations.

Truckcab79 likes this.
  7. Truckcab79

Fischer are brilliant. I don’t use anything else.

8. Si_Gee7

Si_Gee7 New Member

Thanks everyone! The hammer and block of wood to pull it tight worked a treat - so simple!

Agree on Fischer as well, I used the ones that came with the screen - never again!

Not to decide what to with the rawl that's in there so I can replace it.

Thanks everyone!

FlyByNight likes this.
  9. Truckcab79

Glad you got it sorted. Regular HSS drill will get rid of the existing plug. Don’t be tempted to reuse it.

Si_Gee7 likes this.