Loose Rawlplug

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by The Novice DIYer, Feb 10, 2021.

1. The Novice DIYer

The Novice DIYer New Member

I have a splash back where one of the fixings has come loose as the plug has come out of the drilled hole. Is it possible to fix this without taking the whole of the splash back off the wall as would be difficult? I was thinking of using a longer screw to screw into the breeze block or glueing from inside of plug but not sure if either would work??? Or possibly just using a larger screw? Not much weight involved, just holding the splash back tight to the wall.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Rawlplug Wet-N-Fix Repair Solution Pads you could try.

Trust me. Only ever use Fisher raw plugs. Harder plastic. Better design ect

malkie129 likes this.
  3. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Give a larger screw a go first and see what happens, put it in with a combi drill on fast and see if it catches and starts to bite

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Stick another plug in, then try the screw again.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hopefully it’s not a glass splashback then ?

Wack in a larger screw using a combi drill on fast .......:eek:

Would be worthwhile knowing what material we’re dealing with here to avoid damage

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

I said until it "starts" to bite!

I'm not suggesting go to town at high speed without the clutch set (ok, maybe I should have mentioned that bit, I guess I just assumed that everyone knows how to use a combi)

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Without being rude to the OP, this is a rather basic question and the OP has been honest with their user name !

Just didn’t want any damage to occur, even if ali or stainless steel - over tightening could deform the splashback around the screw

I work with ‘novices’ on a regular basis and have found that you can’t rely on common sense or a general understanding on a topic that they lack experience in

Not having a dig at you Bianco, just best to cover our backs

Maybe the OP can furnish us with some further details

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

You're right, it's a fair point, and you might just have saved the OP from stuffing up their kitchen

9. Nis999

Nis999 Member

you are probably not going to be able to remove the old plug as the spash-back drilling will be too small, and ditto you wont get a new plug in. Try shaving down a piece of wood (or 2) about the length of the screw, and poke them in, then replace the screw (I would suggest using a hand screwdriver to get more "feel"). With luck it it will expand the plug to regain its grip. It usually works unless the lose plug has made too big a hole in the plaster.... *** alternatively split a new plug down its length and poke as many slivers in as you can

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

11. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

12. The Novice DIYer

The Novice DIYer New Member

Sorry, should have provided further details (Photographs as attached).

I installed the splash back, 3 of the fixings are tight but the top right hand corner has recently come away from the wall because the hole has become too big for the plug. I do not want to take it all down as it looks like the wall may be Splashback1.jpg crumbly so do not want to disturb the other three fixings as these are good.

There is not enough space for me to get the old plug out so is there a way i can fix the plug and the splash back to the wall again by taking the old screw out, keeping the original plug in place and using another type of fixing.

The material is not glass, but hard plastic so would crack or shatter. Splashback2.jpg Splashback2.jpg

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Drive a new plug into the middle of existing as suggested above

14. CosD

CosD Active Member

Why are you reluctant to take out the other screws so you can address the loose rawplug? That would be the best method.

I would remove everything completely and make good.

Regards addressing the loose rawplug, you can wedge half of a cut down rawplug along with a full one so they sit in tightly together, or you could use a larger rawplug then tap your brown one inside of the larger one.

15. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

First question would be............ what is the wall type it is fixed to????

Looks like plasterboard from the close up picture............ very tidy hole (says the nurse.....:p)

Is it dot n dab by any chance or is the plug into the breeze block as it was???

16. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

I agree - just remove the whole thing, fit new plugs and fix back.

nigel willson likes this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You are making a meal of this, either stick another plug or two in the hole or run a bead of clear silicone down the back of the splashback and strut in position for a couple of hours to let it go off secure.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  18. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

it may be the wall is not level and its needs packing and retightening the plastic may be saying where it needs to be

19. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Still would go with my idea for under £4 and be done with it

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

But it's not a curtain pole Wayners..... Pay attention.

I actually carry some of those as a last resort repair but I've never had to use them. A mixture of the other suggestions has kept me out of trouble so far.