Loose, Wobbly Kitchen Tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by abrodie123, Mar 14, 2018.

1. abrodie123

abrodie123 New Member

Hi,

The tap unit on my kitchen sink has become very loose and wobbly. I had a look underneath last night, and there is a nut on a long screw and a round white plastic thing round the water pipes that looks to have come loose from somewhere. I cant work out how it works.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks!

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I suspect that the nut, which is on the screw, clamps against the white plastic thing to secure against the underside of the sink. Either the nut has come loose from the screw, or the screw has come loose out of the tap fitting.

Is it possible to isolate the hot and cold water supplies so they can be removed? It'll then be easier to see what you're playing with and potentially remove the tap so you can get a better look at how it fixes before putting it back. That nut will be a bugger to get to once in place mind.

3. facilities

facilities Guest

retiredsparks likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sounds like a mononloc tap, secured with long threaded stud and brass nut

The plastic ‘thing’ helps to support the tap and spread the load when tightening, helpful on thin S Steel sinks

May also be a metal ‘horseshoe’ washer

As long as the plastic part isn’t broken, likely to just need tightening up but, could be the stud is loose or the nut

Stud tightens into tap base and will have a slot for a screwdriver at base. Try this 1st, may just need a tweak

Then tighten nut on stud. Always fiddly to get to but a set of monobloc spanners is a blessing

Don’t need to buy top of the range, you aren’t using these every day, probably around £6/8 for a basic set (‘should’ have the size you need)

The spanners also slot together to make a long spanner which is great for access (not everyone realises this feature)

Get into best position, bright torch, new spanners and away you go. No need to remove any pipework (but yes, usually slightly fiddly to get to)

Let the forum know how you get on :)