Lost voltage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by burt pitt, Jan 10, 2019.

1. burt pitt

burt pitt New Member

Hi I’m new to this , I have a 30 meter , 16 mm swa 2 core cable feeding a summerhouse , with its own earth rod , I have 240 volts at the isolator but st the summerhouse,170 volts across live neutral , half ofthe cable has been in ducting underground for 10 years , I’m guessing degradation underground ? Any help most thankful

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

you could recheck the connections at both ends it sounds like a loose cable after ten years screws could come loose but swa will last years even underground what is the voltage live to earth.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

As above - check voltage of both live and neutral to ground/earth, should give a better ideas as to whats going on.

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Any joints anywhere ?
    You need to get it insulation tested at 500v dc to show up any faults.
    SWA is pretty good for years....its usually terminations and joint problems.
    RS

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

Can't really check to earth and get a reliable reading if its a TT system, it might work or may throw up a similar reading confusing things more. If nothing obvious like a loose connection, maybe join the two cores together at one end and do a R1+Rn test at the other.

6. burt pitt

burt pitt New Member

Hi thanks for all your advice , am going back to job tomorrow so will let you know .

7. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Have you got IR tester and a Loop tester ?
    Do the basic IR tests on the cable ditched at both ends first at 1000vdc... that will sort the SWA.
    Are you a sparks ?
    Why dont you understand the very basics of fault finding and testing ?
    RS