Low level toilet - really annoying problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cornish Crofter, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

OK, first I'll let you into a secret. This is the fist low level toilet I have fitted for about 18 years! I don't like them and have had no probs fitting close coupled, which I have fitted plenty of.

There is an issue where the flush pipe connects to the pan. Despite using the correct connector it appears to be leaking from this joint. My aunt, who is about an hours drive away tells me the water is coming from here.

What issues could I be looking at? I left the original cistern in place and just fitted the new pan. The old one was cracked. It seems that every time it is flushed it weeps out of this joint. The flush pipe is square etc.

Is there a dodgy type of seal (cheap plastic like the one I had to use) should I be using a rubber seal.

Any experiences would be welcome - thanks.

2. plumb paul

plumb paul Member

The plastic type like they sell on here are pretty ****. Try to find a rubber one from the merchants - my local PTS has them

3. plumb paul

plumb paul Member

The last low level that i went to was leaking from that same point - it was the pan that wasnt fixed properly and moved, making the connector 'walk out'!

4. Stench

Stench Member

Flush pipes can vary in diameter slightly where one will be a snug fit another might be looser.
    Try some generous wraps of ptfe round the end of the pipe before you insert it.
    And try some wrapped over the fins of the connector if this is the problem area.

5. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I always have a selection of different flush pipe connectors just in case. Make sure the flush pipe is cut just right too, ideally it does not protrude past the end of the flush pipe connector.

6. Cornish Crofter

Thanks guys, So I'll get a couple of good quality rubber connectors. The flush pipe was a good fit onto the connector, I suspect the problem is the fit between the connector and the pan. There didn't seem to be any moulding defects in the pan end I did check. but that plastic connector TBH was a bit flimsy.

I'll check the pan hasn't moved, and the length of pipe past the connector. The pan is held down by 4 screws that are firmly attached into the concrete floor. I would be surprised it it had moved in a week, but then again.....

My guess is the flush pipe connector is just not up to the job. It was only one from Wickes as I was there at the time, so I guess I was asking for trouble.....

7. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

If there's a horn on the pan, use a universal flush pipe connector. Stadium made them if my memory serves me right.

8. plummit

plummit New Member

I also carry a few different designs of these. They do vary in sizes, some slack on the flush pipe, some dead tight, the same on the actual pan.
    Oh and don't forget to check the seal where the flush pipe enters the syphon !!. If I had a pound for every joint that I have re-made only to find out it was another, I would be about 4 pounds up ;)

9. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

10. plummit

plummit New Member

Do they still make the pans where the (Is this the horn ?), seal is created on the outside of the pan.

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I don't think so.

12. plummit

plummit New Member

I type far too slowly Dick !!!!. The answer arrives before the question !!!

13. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Don't think they do 'plummit'??

14. plummit

plummit New Member

Cheers for that Captain.

15. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I didn't read the thread fully, so sorry, if there's no horn then the universal one is of no use.

16. Cornish Crofter

Horn on the pan?

This is a Wickes pan and I don't think there is a horn. The inlet is straight out of the back of the pan level with the top of the toilet.

I want to go up there tomorrow reall and get it out of the way, as my aunt keeps thinking water is rising up from underneath her concrete floor and the sooner I can get it sorted the better!

Only, I've not got any damn connectors and the chances of B and Q, Wickes or Focus having any decent ones is slim to say the least!

None of you guys based around the Exeter area I suppose....

Other than that I may pay call my mate in Plymouth - see if he can help me out.

17. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

use some plumbers mate when you push it in,will help seal the joint make sure pipe is cut perfect too

good luck you should be ok

18. Cornish Crofter

Just an update.

Thanks guys for all your contributions.

In the end I got the only rubber connector sold by Plumbase and fitted that in place of that cheap and horrible plastic one that Wickes sold me (yuck!).

I coated this with fernox to make absolutely sure, I didn't have any plumbers mate on me. I refitted the whole lot and it seems to work fine.

The only issue with the job was that the hole is/was coned, ie the diameter is larger at the top than at the bottom. Although one expects this to a certain degree to take account of the moulding process, this one was quite excessive. Hence the Fernox and the tightness of the fitting, even with the pipe cut level with the end, wanted to push/squeeze the pipe and connector out.

To get around this I braced the connector off the back wall with a length of trunking and used the fernox to effectively bond the fitting to the porcelein.

That shold work - I hope it does as it is just over an hour each way to that job, and although I like to see my Aunt, once every few months is preferable to once every few days!

19. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

I too hate the plastic ones and they always get chucked in the bin and a proper rubber one fitted, one thats fit for purpose!